Bulletins & Advisories CR-V Front Sun Shade Blind Judders Or Sticks which results in noise.

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Service News, Sunday 24th Jun, 2012.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    Honda issues a TSB for the above condition for the following Civic & CR-V models with the above symptoms.

What are the Symptoms?

When opening the front sunshade (5) the blind may judder but still open fully, or jam in a closed or partially open position.
    If the blind is jammed it may suddenly snap open at a later stage. The sunshade closes normally.

Front sunshade CR-C Civic AOC.JPG

Note: The symptom and cause are the same for both Civic and CR-V - all sunshade parts relevant to this issue are common to both
    models.This symptom only affects the front sun shade.

The Cause?

Honda Investigated into the cause found that the sunshade push shoes were cracked due to an incompatibility between the shoe material and the grease used in the guide rail. The cracked shoe (see image below) then led to increased friction in the guide rail, which caused the roller blind stick or judder

Sunrood shoe.JPG

The Fix

The grease used in the sunshade assembly has been made redundant. Testing has shown that the withdrawal of grease has no detrimental effect on durability or noise. The new shoe material is self lubricating and does not require greasing or any further maintenance.

The Repair Method

Remove the sunshade shoes and cables then remove the grease from the guide rail portion of frame and the cables. Reinstall with the new shoes

Please contact your nearest Honda dealer to book in your car for this work , it is a half day work so book prior to your visit so the dealer can arrange a loaner car.

2. eastern Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is this a warranty repair and if it is how far back can they go regarding age of car? I have a 2008 CR-V which has this problem.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Take it up with you local dealer if your car has the above symptoms then they are retrospectively fix it and seek a gesture of goodwill with Honda. if you are was in warranty it would be a straight forward yes , since your has lapsed it will take the dealer to make a call on it.

On the other hand Scottish dealers are not the most flexible in the country for outside warranty work they always seem to charge the customers of even changing bulbs.

4. eastern Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I only bought the car a month ago and it was one of the first things I noticed. After reading your previous post I contacted the dealer and they just said "oh bring it in and we'll have a look at it" no mention of charges etc. I did mention that I'd heard it was a Honda recall but they were very evasive about acknowledging this. As you say Scottish dealers are reticent about admitting any faults. Ichiban are you a main dealer?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is not a recall this is a product update so dealer won't be aware of recall as such. Tell them to look up this TSB or print this out they will find the details.

No am not Honda dealer but have sufficient knowledge and experience from members regarding the laxed attitudes from a lot Scottish dealers, you have to approach them with your head screwed on.

If you bought this car a month back from a honda dealer then you are covered by a years of approve car guarantee they should fix it under that.

6. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    My CR-V has this problem. Barretts Honda in Canterbury said the parts were £76 and it's 3.3 hours labour, so looking at around £400-£500 but they said they might do a discount to get the price down to £400. I've improved it with silicon spray but not solved it completely - might keep spraying it each time I clean the car and see if that continues to improve it.

7. Furter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

- - - Updated - - -
    Is there a reference number for this so I can quote it to the dealer?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  9. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    I liberally applied silicone spray to the runners on mine and further to my last post it appears to have completely solved my problem. I don't use the blinds much - they stay closed most of the time but on the rare occasion I do open them they work fine now without juddering or sticking. I'd recommend trying silicone spray first as it will be a lot less hassle (and cheaper!). Don't be frugal with it - I was the first time, but then I was more generous with a second application and no problems since.

10. Furter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@rikernumber1 thanks for reply ,but going to get Honda to fix as only just bought car (last week) used from Honda dealer so has 12 months warranty

11. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    That makes sense - mine was from a non-Honda dealer and well out of any kind of warranty.

12. Furter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well just an update!!! and result. I had my CR-V in to Honda Manchester (having purchased it from them a week earlier and them saying it just needed a bit of grease which they did before i first picked it up) and they had it a day and half as they phoned me the first day to say they needed to order the part in and it takes 3 to 4 hours to do the job. When i went to pick it up they lefted me alone with the job card and i had a nosey and it had this TSB as above stapled to it and also instructions on how to remove the grease for the engineers.

So all in all a big thumbs up to Honda Manchester for doing the job obvioiusly FOC or course.

Ichiban likes this.