Engine & Gearbox CR-V future AWD system will it get an upgrade?

Discussion in '5th Generation (2017-)' started by PanayiotisPal, Wednesday 7th Sep, 2016.

1. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    My questions is will Honda upgrade, in the near future (2017), its CR-Vs AWD system to GKN Twister or SH-AWD system???

Improvements
    70% rear torque capability
    Active torque vectoring

Otherwise will CR-V 2017 receive the SH-AWD system from its big brother RDX (Acura) and MDX 2017 (similar to CR-V but better looking) which will receive the superb SH-AWD system after market demand for a better AWD system (Acura 2016 was using CR-Vs AWD system). "The company has also brought its Sport Hybrid Super Handling All Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) technology to the MDX on newer 2017 model."

Hope that Honda will make this upgrade at least in Europe, since there is no Acura MDX as a purchase option.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Quite honestly no for AWD , SH-AWD you need horsepower and torque, with everyman and his dog wanting a crossover or a SUV with low emissions and great mileage as standard. The UK and Europe market in its current shape you can't have these technologies co-existing with pea size engines.

Look at the 10th Generation Civic small displacement low weight turbo cars to achieve all that.. The MDX is a beast with a 3.5-liter direct injection V-6 with 290 horses,with low petrol cost in the US you can throw the kitchen sink at it. Honda won't make a large displacement diesel it will be small 1.6 twin turbo with 9 gear Autobox.

Personally if you are looking for these technologies you have to consider anything else but a Honda those days are long gone.

3. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hello Ichiban, thanks for your reply :Smile:.
    Few comments:

I don't understand much about AWD systems but I know that GKN twister has lockers too (same as SH-AWD). It is currently used by Evoque with less displacement. Have to check with which displacement it comes with.

Toyota has front lockers on its new RAV4 2016. A new add on.

At least will CR-V provide front lockers on its CR-V AWD version???

Thanks again.

Just to follow on this Evoque excellent AWD system (GKN twister) goes on both 2.0d and 2.0 petrol engines (auto and manual). So I protest :Smile:

Last edited: Wednesday 7th Sep, 2016
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda may make some concessions if they want to make a proper off-roader and give locked diffs.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  5. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That would be a strong sale point if it happens (together with active torque vectoring). I cross my fingers.

6. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just to follow up on this, I have seen a 4WD graphical interface on a 5th Generation CR-V review. I don't know if they have added a 4WD graph that shows the front/rear wheel torque percentage. If they have added AWD mode settings (rain snow mud offroad lock) this will be unexpected.

Last edited: Monday 5th Dec, 2016 at 6:48am