Bulletins & Advisories CR-V I-DTEC Diesel High Pressure Fuel Pump Noise

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Service News, Tuesday 24th Apr, 2012.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

This is a normally a rare occurrence but never the less an important situation to be aware of .This condition is more prevalent when the car has been running on low fuel supply or just been refuelled after an empty fuel tank. Secondly and equally important are DIYer owners are working on their car changing their fuel filters,due to incorrect sealing of the top cap may lead to air entering into the fuel system.

The following Honda Vehicles may be affected by this issue.

Model Model Code Year Model
    Civic 5 Door FK3 2012
    CR-V i-DTEC RE6 2010,2011,2012

The Symptoms
    Under certain conditions the high pressure fuel pump fitted to Civic / CR-V I-DTEC Diesels may be heard to emit a whistle or vibration noise that can be heard from both the interior and exterior of the vehicle.

The Cause

Noise occurs because of residual air being caught in the overflow valve on the high pressure fuel pump. (Cross section of overflow valve pictured below)

The residual air (A) is bled gradually by fuel flow (C) and returns to the fuel tank via the fuel return line (B). Once the air has bled completely, the noise will disappear.

i-DTEC & AOCUK High Pressure Fuel Pump.JPG

The trigger point for this situation usually follow events when the vehicle has been subject to a low fuel condition or run out of fuel by the customer) or due to a repair process which has introduced air into the fuel system.

12 year model Civic and CR-V Diesels have a slightly different high pressure fuel pump with an improved OHV valve which is able to clear air more efficiently, But this noise may still occur in the above situations.

Confirming Issue
    This noise can be confirmed as coming from the high pressure fuel pump by feel. By touching the rubber fuel return line (A) on the high pressure pump you will also be able to feel high frequency vibrations on this return line as well as hear the noise.

These vibrations and noise will disappear once the air, that was trapped within the overflow valve (B) has bled away. There is no fault with the high pressure fuel pump associated with this noise and it should not be replaced for this symptom, just follow the simple repair method below.

i-DTEC & AOCUK High Pressure Pump.JPG

Repair Method
    All that is required to clear the noise is to refuel the car (minimum 20 litres) and to take on a short test drive so that the air has had a chance to clear from the high pressure pump.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds