General CR-V in the snow - 2014MY & 2015MY

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by FirstHonda, Saturday 21st Mar, 2015.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

American versions of the CR-V, from an American site - but performance on snow looks pretty good considering the CR-V isn't supposed to be a "real" 4x4.

Interesting to hear that the 2015 has a CVT gearbox in the US, taken from the Accord (I assume with the bigger petrol engine not available in the UK).

2. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho

vincemince and FirstHonda like this.
  3. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

People just love playing in snow but I' am not doing this !

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    That CR-V handled the snow like a champion - nicely done

5. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

This review is a little bit louder ( that's Americans for you ) in presentation of the 2015 CR-V

PanayiotisPal and FirstHonda like this.
  6. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

CR-V AWD on ICE.

A very nice CR-V on ICE uphill video

Last edited: Sunday 14th Jun, 2015
    FirstHonda and vincemince like this.
  7. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

All we need now is Clarkson , Hammond and May to do a Winter Olympics special in CR-V's

Who's for the slalom and who's for the ski jump ?

8. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Can they do something similar to the AWD CR-V rear differentials for ascending the ski jump platform rather than going down for a ski jump as a special AWD performance test? Just a thought:Smile:

9. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Pan and other CR-V'ers. An American review of the latest. Pan. It mentions the 4WD problem and the Swedish test.

Anyway. Can I have one of these in Manual/4WD please? It even has a sunroof:Smile:

10. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers Phil. I think in Europe it comes with a better automatic transmission 9 speed ZF. My last comment on the CR-V AWD system was regarding the ability of the rear differential to be reprogrammed in order to take into account other terrain simulations such as hill climb terrain in order to give additional CR-V off road capability. This however was delibarately not endorsed by the Honda technical team as proven with the 2015 updated Swedish AWD test which I think was done on a 2013 model pre firmware. So their case I think was made on wrong data though I agree that the CR-V 2015 AWD system does not perform well on hill climbs due to engineering firmware limitations.

It seems that Honda engineers/technical team prefer to send up to 30% torque to the rear wheel when on dry road and up to 60% of torque to the rear wheel when on wet/slick conditions (older gen CR-V publication). If the rear wheel requires more torque requirements at a particular road condition then it will fail to kick in since the clutch discs could not handle this torque due to the software/firmware setting limilations.

What I don't understand is why in case the rear wheels needs 80% but the system is cabable to handle 60% (AWD ECU programmable feature limit set by the Honda programmers) there is no device to automatically enable a low gear mechanism to provide 100% rear torque when needed?? Like bicycle gears when we are moving up a hill or a 4WD low gear to be more precise. Or as a second though to have more clutch discs in the rear differential and/or thicker (optimum thickness and number) in order to have better heat/wear chracteristics in order to make the system capable of producing 100% rear torque. Something that as an engineer would have thought about when designing the rear differentials.

Last edited: Thursday 25th Jun, 2015
  11. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Excellent CR-V AWD performance from European CR-V. I am starting to believe that the European CR-Vs have better performance AWD firwmare than the USA CR-Vs.

Last edited: Wednesday 1st Jul, 2015
    FirstHonda likes this.