Engine & Gearbox CR-V jumping at low speeds

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Paulcornwall, Monday 10th Aug, 2015.

1. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Penzance
    Problem with Dads petrol 2003 CR-V. When it's cold it looses power then kangaroos into live again. When it's warm it behave itself however it's still feeling gutless. No engine light etc but is idling very low at 300rpm. Any ideas?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Check the oil level Paul, Kangaroo\jerking can be a clogged VTC solenoid which happens when the oil is dangerously low.

So even if you topped it back to the full mark, the curd gets stuck in the VTC strainers and plays havoc.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    When was it last serviced ?

Could be any number of things, needs a through diagnoses, hard to advice over the internet.

Are plugs and coils OK ? Is the timing OK ? Lots of questions that need answering.

You could try unplugging TPS see if that settles the idle, if not try unplugging the lambda sensor see if that has an effect.

4. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Completely understand its difficult to diagnose over the net. I checked the oil level and its low but not below the marker. It's due a service so no doubt this is contributing towards the problem. I unplugged the MAF sensor and initially it felt better but as soon as we approached a slight incline the power dropped off and it started jerking. A basic obd reader is not revealing any faults, I'm trying to find time to get it connected to my main laptop for a better look. As ichiban said it could possibly be to do with the VTEC solenoid as the VTEC fails to kick in when it starts to run ok when warm but no power (or VTEC), hence why I'm leaning toward this. What more can I do to check it this is the problem?

5. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So the engine light comes on while taking dad to hospital. I plug in the basic scanner and come up with this. Any ideas?

image. image.

6. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cat or o2 sensor?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will have a look at the error code in detail but never ever believe all codes are set in stone, can you delete that code and does it permanently delete ?

8. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Problem has been on going for the last 12 weeks, progressively getting worse, has thrown a code only once before. Driving today and it not right, speed seems to be restrictive at times and very slow to get up to speed. Should I clear and see if it returns again?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes please if you do that then you will know if that code is a red herring,then you know that problem has wider ramification and is manifestation of other variables if it comes back.

I understand it's been ongoing for sometime but 12 weeks to have this problem does no favours to the ECU software, it does corrupt if you keep on ignoring these symptoms.

10. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sure fully understand. TBH Dads car has been put on the back boiler as he's currently going through Chemo (hence ignoring the problem for 12 weeks). A lot on our plates so was trying to get this fixed for him. With all the journeys to the hospital money is tight for them and don't fancy a garage doing them over. I'll see what happens clearing the codes and return to hassle you more..lol! :Smile:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry to hear that fella , these are trying time for all and hope your dad make a speedy recovery enjoying his CR-V with a smile. I will look up the code and troubleshooting procedure soon.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ok

First do the ECU reset
    How to Reset the ECM/PCM

You can reset the ECM/PCM in either of 2 ways:
    • Use the scan tool or Honda PGM Tester to clear the ECM's/PCM's memory.See the scan tool or Honda PGM Tester user's manuals for specific instructions.
    • Turn the ignition switch OFF, and remove the No. 6 ECU (ECM/PCM) (15A) fuse (A) from the under-hood fuse/relay box (B) for 10 seconds.
    upload_2015-8-12_19-4-11.

Fuse to Components Index - Under-hood Fuse-Relay Box.PNG
    Under-hood Fuse/Relay Box
    Fuse Number Amps Wire Color Component(s) or Circuit(s) Protected
    120ABLU/YELCondenser fan motor
    BLU/REDA/C compressor clutch
    215AWHT/GRNDash lights, Fog light switch, Front parking lights, Front side marker lights, Multiplex control unit (KG model: daytime running lights), License plate lights, Taillights, Taillight relay
    315AWHT/BLUAlarm control siren, Ceiling lights, Ignition key light, Rear wiper control unit, Spotlights
    420ABLU/BLKRadiator fan motor
    515AWHT/BLKHazard warning light, Security control unit, Turn signal/hazard relay
    615AWHT/BLKCKP sensor, ECM/PCM, Fuel injectors, IAC valve, Immobilizer control unit-receiver, PGM-FI main relay 1 and 2, TDC sensor
    715AWHT/GRNABS modulator-control unit, Brake lights, Cruise control unit, ECM/PCM, Security horn relay, Security horn
    BLU/REDHorn
    8——————Not used
    910AWHT/REDAVN unit (With Navigation), Audio unit (Without Navigation), Data link connector, Gauge assembly, Immobilizer control unit-receiver, Keyless receiver unit,Multiplex control unit, Security control unit, Ultrasonic sensor
    1030AWHT/REDABS modulator-control unit (+B MR)
    1120ABLK/YELNoise condenser, Rear window defogger
    1240ABLU/WHTBlower motor
    1340AWHT/BLKNo. 7, 22, 23, 24, 25 fuses (in the under-dash fuse/relay box)
    1440AWHT/REDNo. 2, 3, 5, 15, 16 fuses (in the under-dash fuse/relay box)
    1515ARED/YELHeadlight washer control unit, High beam indicator light, Left headlight
    1620AWHTMultiplex control unit
    1715AREDRight headlight
    1830AWHT/BLUABS modulator-control unit (+B FSR)
    19100A———Battery, Power distribution
    2050AWHTIgnition switch (BAT)

DTC P0420 aka (67-1):
    Catalytic System Efficiency Below Threshold
    NOTE: If some of the DTCs listed below are stored at the same time as DTC P0420, troubleshoot those DTCs first, then recheck for DTC P0420.

P0137, P0138: Secondary Heated Oxygen Sensor ( secondary HO2S ) (Sensor 2)
    P0141: Secondary HO2S (Sensor 2) heater

1. Reset the ECM/PCM, as listed above then continue to Step 2 through 5 to reset the readiness code.

2. Start the engine. Hold the engine at 3,000 RPM (min −1 ) with no load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on.

3. Drive for about 10 minutes without stopping on motorway. Your speed can vary.

4. With the A/T in D position, M/T in 5th gear, drive at a steady speed between 80−100 km/h (50−62 mph) for 30 seconds.

5. Repeat step 4 three times. Between each repetition, close the throttle completely for 1−2 seconds. If the engine is stopped during this part of the procedure, go to Step 3 and do the procedure again.

6. Check for a Temporary DTC with the scan tool.

Does the scan tool indicate Temporary DTC P0420?
    YES - Check the TWC. If necessary, replace the TWC. (Three way catalytic converter)
    NO - Check for readiness code completion. If the readiness is complete, it was a intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. If the readiness is incomplete, repeat Step 2 through 5.

13. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thank you bud, appreciate it. Will report back when I get round to it.

Ichiban likes this.
  14. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This error code has appeared, looks like a O2 sensor but can't decipher if it's the front or rear sensor? What do you think?

image.

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 20th Aug, 2015
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's for the primary O2 (pre-cat) sensor.
    - - - Updated - - -
    What was the other code ? This one is 2/2 so there must have been another code present