Body, Paint & Styling CR-V Knock/Rattle from rear seat

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Zoot, Tuesday 3rd May, 2016.

1. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    I've had a knocking/rattle noise sounding from the rear nearside interior of the car for sometime. At first it was minimal but more recently has become louder and extremely irritating - in fact very very annoying. Boot emptied etc to try and locate the offending cause. No luck.

A trip to the dealer was needed and I was informed they had had three CR-V's with the same problem and would need to road test the car. It would appear the knock/rattle is from the mechanism in the rear nearside seat upright. The short term fix until the new mechanism arrives is a piece of insulating tape on metal bar that the mechanism locks on to.

Car has been tested and new part ordered under warranty.

If anyone else is having this problem I hope this helps.

FirstHonda likes this.
  2. Daglefinger Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Daglefing Southport
    I've had this issue tto . Reported it at Blackpool Honda when it went for it's 2nd service. They knew straight away what the issue was, order the part and fixed it the following week. No rattles since!

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Mechanism part has been delivered to the dealer. CR-V booked in on Thursday for fitting.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If dealers are going this on customer complaint then there has to be a TSB for this its that simple.

5. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think we have this fault on our CR-V, sounds like a metallic noise as if you have something "clanking" in the boot ?

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is there a test I can do to see if mine does it?

7. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    That sounds like it! Try wrapping some insulating tape round the metal bar where the mechanism latches onto OR fold the seat back down. If the knocking disappears the you have the faulty mechanism. Good luck!
    - - - Updated - - -
    You'll know if you have the fault - the knock will drive you nuts!

legend-ary and FirstHonda like this.
  8. LHARTWICK New Member Getting Started

I think I have this SAME issue. Bought a 2015 CR-V right at a year ago. At about 3K miles, noise from back left rear area began. Continued to get worse. We took it in to dealer at about 12K miles. They looked inside and out. Put it on racks. Found nothing. But the noise stopped for about 3 weeks - then returned. My husband was fed up, so we traded it in for a 2016 CR-V Touring. At about 3K miles, SAME NOISE!!! I began to suspect the source was on the inside. I've had the back seats down in the flat position for about a week - NO NOISE AT ALL! I'm going to put the seat back up to see if it returns. If it does, I guess we've found the culprit. I sure hope so, because we love this car, except for that noise! Can someone be more specific about where the noise is coming from? I gather it's from where the seat latches into place?

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

My CR-V doesn't do it, but from what I've heard the rattle is caused by a faulty mechanism not fastening properly to the rear seat back holder. When you go over a bump in the road, the metal on metal moves and causes the noise.

If your CR-V doesn't do it with the seats folded then I'd say that must be the problem.

10. LHARTWICK New Member Getting Started

Thank you! I mean to add that it's at low speeds and/or over bumps, and the bumps don't have to be very large. It's prominent when going through parking lots.

11. LHARTWICK New Member Getting Started

I've placed the rear seat back in the upright position today to see if the noise returns. I wanted to clarify which mechanism you're referring to: the mechanism you can see if you were to stand behind the car (w/the back hatch up) and it's on the back of the seat on the bottom OR the one on the side of the seat?

12. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    It is the mechanism inside the side of the seat.

FirstHonda likes this.
  13. Davec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dave Chippenham
    Mine did this. The dealer replaced something and it went away for a few month then CAME BACK AGAIN !!!!
    I wrapped Gaffer tape around the metal support bar and it has not done it again.

14. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Yep @
    Yep @Davec that or insulating tape works but if you fold the seat back down often the tape soon erodes and the knock/ rattle starts again. Best to get it replaced again, after all it is a warranty job!