General CR-V Production Switching to Canada next year

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by tomwillie, Sunday 5th Apr, 2015.

1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    According to Daily Mail on Sat 4 April next year Honda are switching production of slow selling CR-V from Swindon to Canada.

Production of current Jazz finishes at Swindon in next few weeks.

Next year Swindon will just produce next gen Civic 5 door hatch. Honda showed a coupe Civic at recent New York Motor Show, be good if that is available in Europe with detuned Civic Type-R 2.0 turbo engine.

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    This is the beginning of the end for HUK ?

John Dickson likes this.
  3. BronzeBrick New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Bob Fishguard
    Until recently I lived near to Swindon, and at the autumn of last year they were talking about taking on more employees.

4. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    The article stated that Honda are investing in the Swindon plant but that no extra staff will be taken on.

5. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Slow selling?

I thought that the CR-V was a good seller for Honda in the UK ...

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I read somewhere that CR-V sales have slowed pretty dramatically recently - negative 18% rings a bell but I could be wrong.

It may have been because people knew a facelift model was on the way, it could just be because the CR-V looks expensive (when you don't take standard equipment into account) when compared with smaller cars from Audi (Q3) and BMW (X1) and many people would rather have a German badge.

7. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    If one reads the reviews regarding the CR-V AWD problems, and watch the scanandenavian inclined rolling test and watches the edomnds snow review of CR-V AWD, will understand the reasons why the CR-V is slow selling. If they manage to fix the AWD problem by manually locking the AWD system electronically when VSA off is selected, this will help to promote sales as the CR-V will pass the scandenavean inclined roller test, and promote better reviews and tests, and will help to reverse the bad image of AWD system in the CR-V.

Everyman Driver 2015 AWD CR-V OFF ROAD SNOW review link with AWD failure.

On this youtube movie look at the 2:28 & 5:58 AWD failure. No torque transfer to the rear wheels. The electronic AWD system had no strength to send torque the rear wheels, in order for the rear wheels to help the car move forward.
    Honda CR-V’s 4WD system is not working – again | Teknikens Värld

8. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    If I am not mistaken the testers thought the CR-V did well in the snow & stated that in USA it is SUV of the year. The CR-V is a soft off road vehicle & not designed for use in extreme off road conditions.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I see CR-V's everywhere, especially 2nd and 3rd gens but not so many 4th gens. Perhaps price and the AWD system is part of the reason? But with so many SUVs about I personality think they really should have made the 4th Generation with a locking diff or something to raise the bar among many of the others and leave soft roading for the new HR-V. A more powerful engine choice may have helped also.

FirstHonda and PanayiotisPal like this.
  10. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Honda's reputation is compromised, and their denial to fix its AWD system on CR-Vs is unconscionable. This has led to loss of sales and market share.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This was announced last month bud Official Honda - Honda of Canada Mfg. Expands Export Destinations TBH its the best move Honda have made get the entire production out of here to save face.

12. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Being a soft AWD means that this vehicle does not have the strength to utilize its AWD capability in harsh situations. People get the AWD capability for snow conditions,. Thus having a AWD CR-V which cannot lock its multiplate clutch (RAV4 managed to lock its multiplate clutch electronically with a push of a button giving excellent AWD results, when their AWD fails the lock mode is there to assist) it is like having an AWD SUV with half the safety and AWD performance you need, so in soft environmental conditions it works but in harsh conditions it fails. IF HONDA CR-V can do the same through a software upgrade and when VSA off button is selected to simulate the same capability, then HONDA will save face, by passing all tests, and increasing sales and market share as a quality based AWD SUV. But it seems that they don't care anymore, since they have decided not to invest in any additional cost to fix the AWD problem. Customers nowadays get informed through tests and reviews before buying a car, and these tests and reviews do not help the sales of AWD CR-V.