Electrical & Lights CR-V Steering Wheel buttons are they backlit?

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by tango123, Friday 7th Oct, 2016.

1. tango123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mick Sheffield
    Hi all !, been slowly getting used to the CR-V have noticed in the dark the switch gear on the steering wheel for cruise and the radio doesnt light up , is this normal or should it ? . Apart from that have ordered a new window switch pack as the auto function is defunct !. Have tried and tried all the methods to make it function , but all to no avail . Still awaiting disc for sat nav from dealer too !, but think he has forgotten about me !. Only want it so i can lose the writing and have the splash screen, as have no intentions of using the sat nav. Anyone got a decent copy ?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @MickyB can you confirm the same on your 2nd Generation mate?

3. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can't remember off hand I haven't had it that much since I bought it, !!! It's spent more time back in the garage that I've drove it.
    Hopefully getting her back on Monday or Tuesday so I'll answer as many questions and problems as I can then.

4. tango123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well new switch pack fitted today and drivers window whizzing up and down on auto !. Sadly no replies on other queries !.

5. Rob_uk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom rob yeovil
    hi tango123 just had a look and mine don't.

6. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry only had mine back 2 days and haven't been out in the dark yet but will have a look at mine this evening.

7. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    Pretty sure mine don't either.

8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can confirm mine DO NOT

9. kjc Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mine don't.

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    We 7th Generation Accord owners have just had a similar do they/don't they question regarding steering wheel illumination. It seems oddly random.

11. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just to take this a little further can you guys tell me if the sunroof,VSA,cruise control and headlight adjuster switch on your cars light up!

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No its is not random PFL 2005 car has backlit steering wheels 2004 didn't. Its clearly defined. 2005 model as revision update for your knowledge the 7th Generation has had three updates in its life cycle.

2002-2004 PFL
    2005 -2006 revision update
    2006-2008 FL

Zebster likes this.
  13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Honda obviously jumped in pretty damn quickly... My car was registered on 5th January 2005!

14. tango123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, MickyB . yes all the switches light up on mine VSA , sunroof , cruise even the mirror switch above the window switches on the doorcard. Thats why i think its strange the steering wheel switches don't. Really can't see them in the dark if operating cruise or changing volume on the radio !

15. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Something I'll have to investigate. Just hope it's nothing to do with the MICU again???

Last edited: Thursday 20th Oct, 2016
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @tango123 did you try to reset your Auto driver window by this method by any chance? My driver side window has lost its Auto function (Electrical & Lights - )

Now as for your steering buttons 2005 Across the board steering backlit came into Honda cars, now if your car is 2004 model year registered in 2005 it could be why your car does not have it.

This is exploded diagram and there is is no LED bulbs, normally they share light off one sources through plastic optic tubes.

upload_2016-10-19_1-2-22.

17. tango123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, yes i did try this first , even went on autodata to check if i was doing the reset correctly !. Put the new switch pack in worked straightaway, plus the Auto part of the script lights up !. The old switch had been taped up probably to stop water ingress , but had obviously succumbed !

18. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Today I was having a browse through Halfords and found this
    image.
    So thought it might come in handy so bought it.
    Had to use a magnifying glass to see the wiring diagrams(yes I need new glasses I think) it looks like the switches I mentioned each have individual bulbs to illuminate them. Couldn't find a fuse covering them so I'm assuming that the bulbs have gone in all 3 as I couldn't find a link to the MICU unless anyone else knows different??? @Members

19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    crikey @MickyB that @Members thing got me out of bed this morning ......EDIT and it seems that I too have the @Members power :shock:

Anyway, beware that Haynes manuals are notorious for having incomplete/incorrect circuit diagrams, they should be taken as a "rough guide" for any model of any marque.

On the ESM for the 7th Generation Accord, I didn't check the wiring for the cruise control for all years and all models, but there is a difference between the 2004 2.4 and 2.0 models, in particular there is wiring from the Gauge Control module to the steering wheel buttons on the 2.4, but not on the 2.0.

This suggests to me that it depends on trim level, my 7th Generation Accord is a 54 plate 2.4 Exec (in fact the VIN shows a 2003 build) .... and my car has backlit cruise control buttons on the steering wheel.

MickyB likes this.
  20. Eureka Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Lancaster
    The steering wheel buttons on my 2006 registered CR-V are not backlit.
    Rest of buttons are backlit just not the steering wheel buttons.