General CR-V Tailgate Height

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by manonthemoon, Monday 17th Oct, 2016.

1. manonthemoon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bob Scotland
    I've had a search for this but can't seem to find anything on the max height of a 3rd generation CR-V tailgate when fully open. I need to know if it will be a problem in my garage. Obviously I don't have one, (yet), to measure and there is no dealer within a couple of hundred miles so I would be grateful if any members could take a measurement. The low point in my garage is 232 cm. The hatch on my focus has a height of 214 cm when fully open and the high point is on the lifting handle plastic moulding. Measuring involved a chair, a piece of wood held level and of course a measuring tape. So if anyone is good enough to take a measurement it's the highest point on the tailgate I need not the height of the opening. Clearly the CR-V is a taller vehicle and sits higher than a car so this may be a problem for me. So please take all necessary precautions before perching on a chair with bits of wood. Health and safety and all that.

Cheers
    MOTM

2. manonthemoon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If anyone has the chance to take a measurement over the weekend it would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    MOTM

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
  4. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    Hi MOTM, hope this is in time for you. Mine measures 6' 9" (six feet, nine inches). I have 18" rims.

legend-ary and SpeedyGee like this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  6. manonthemoon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers Toto
    Thanks for taking the trouble to do that. No not too late at all. Wasn't going to take this any further until I knew if the CR-V would fit or not.
    That's really interesting. The CR-V tailgate height is 81 inches and the focus is just over 84 inches if my conversion is correct. Wasn't expecting that to be honest.
    Clearly the CR-V is a much taller car so it could be the tailgate doesn't open as wide as the focus's.
    So based on your measurement the CR-V will fit in the garage no problem.
    Thanks again.
    MOTM

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Green teapot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andrew Banbury
    I realise the tailgate has to be within reach of all to be able to close it-but I do feel the gate doesn't open high enough for me. I am 6' 2" & have banged my head on the corners several times. Other manufacturers have '2 position' extents of travel (i.e. Push it up a bit more after the first stop) I would have liked this on mine!
    The way rainwater pees off the lower edge of the gate when it's open is not ideal-although I believe this was addressed on later mk3s by the addition of a stick on trim/gutter (which I've not yet looked into.)

8. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    I stuck a rubber draft excluder along the bottom edge of the tailgate and it works a treat.

You can't see it when boot closed either.

9. Green teapot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andrew Banbury
    Cheers wizard-got some of that in the shed;will give it a go