Service & Maintenance CR-V timing chain? Aftermarket or Genuine

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by ratch, Sunday 23rd Dec, 2012.

1. ratch New Member Getting Started

Does anyone know where I can buy a timing chain/or kit for my 2003 CR-V K20 A4 engine ? cannot seem to find an aftermarket one anywhere.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hello I doubt you can get a aftermarket inexpensive chain set for your car. There are aftermarket chains for high horsepower engines and tensioners but I would stick to the genuine Honda parts for your CR-V.

These are precision parts and TBH cheaper aftermarket alternative will not be able to match the quality. I would like to know why has the existing chain in your car worn or stretched.These type of incidents are purely down to poor oil change schedule and poor quality of engine oil.

3. ratch New Member Getting Started

I have not long bought this CR-V and it was one family owned from new with great serrvice history and loads of receipts for work done.It still drives well with no noises but MIL light is on,one fault showing "crankshaft sensor/camshaft sensor out of synch".It is also the auto box version which usually means they have had an easier life and not been over revved. Such is life nothing has a lifetime warranty.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you had the chain looked at ?

5. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is there a set time/mileage for a chain change? @Ichiban
    Just wondering as my search for an HR-V replacement goes on. And this is something I should really know.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sounds like stretched timing chain.

How did you get on with this @ratch ?

7. Awesome_Ian Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ian Glasgow
    Reviving an older thread here, but I'm gradually refurbishing my own '55 diesel CR-V. It's now hit 100k miles at 11 years old and I wondered if I should be having my timing chain replaced? I don't have any warning lights or anything, but I imagine if the chain fails it will cost a fortune to put right. Any advice appreciated

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's a massive job, unless there is a real need to I wouldn't just replace the timing belt.

Awesome_Ian likes this.