Optional Extras CR-V towbar rust

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by tempster, Thursday 6th Jun, 2013.

1. tempster New Member Getting Started

UK
    Just picked up my CR-V recently and saw there were some rust spots on the towbar and underneath where it attaches..
    I guess it was because he lived near the sea as i can see it around the front and rear brake disc but no where else.

With regards to the rust.. as its only superficial.. I was planning to use my anglegrinder and a metal brush attachment to clean off the rus, and then paint it with hammerite smooth black.
    Would you recommend this method or another?

I don't know the make of the towbar but i guess it must be from Honda?

p.s thinking of doing this to the edge of the brake discs / calipers as there is a small amount of rust layer.
    Thanks

heres an image of the rust.. anyone know the make?
    towbar.

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 6th Jun, 2013
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda won't make the tow bar,they tender out the tow bars to multiple vendors and one is selected to make it to Honda guidelines. These guidelines are open ended which are industry standards nothing over above that then topped off with a Honda tag plate.90 % Honda accessories are made internal thou via Honda Access.

The rust will be superficial, you can protected with your method see no problems with that just don't paint over any bolts or nuts.

tempster likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I might be wrong but for your generation CR-V I think Witter Towbars made it.

Edit its Bosal.

4. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is sad. exhaust and tow bars do last 10 year and more now, so I can see why they are suffering. IIRC my first gen had bosal rear section before I changed it.