Electrical & Lights CR-V & trickle chargers

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by crv2014ex, Wednesday 27th Jan, 2016.

1. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    Anybody recommend a trickle charger for a 2014 2.2idtec CR-V ex. Low mileage hence battery goes flat within 10 days. Enough charge to light dash up but not enough to start engine. 10 mins on battery charger and away she goes. Don't want to keep flattening and shortening the life of the battery. Also from other threads don't what to fry anything costly.

2. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom BEA London
    The usual answer is to get one of the ctek smart chargers which control and limit their charge voltage to a level that doesn't upset the electronics too much. - All I can say is they have never failed me

(That said someone will say your children will have 4 heads if you do ... And I will point at the dealer staff wandering arround the forecourt with brute force jump chargers left right and centre. )

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    Cheers BEA

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Ichiban and @Nels have trickle chargers I believe, can't remember what make they were though.

5. Westman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Kings Lynn
    I have a ctek MXS 5.0 which came with a connector for permanent connection, so you just plug in charger and forget!, It charges then maintains.. Always worked for me..
    JPR

6. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

+1 for ctec intelligent chargers, I have been using them for sometime.

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have this one and it does the job.

8. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Now of course your all going to laugh at me but I've bought a £20 solar charger which I just plug into bumps fag lighter socket and after four months or more she/he always starts. But of course I haven't an alarm. People on here worry about three weeks, is that progress ?

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Another vote for CTEK.

I've had one for a few years to use on my garage queen Mini, and a 7 or 8 year old Yuasa battery is still fine even though the car is only used 3 or 4 times a year.

11. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I've used a couple of Accumates for over 20 years now on 3 cars and my old lawn tractor, all low mileage with lengthy gaps in use. Excellent and keep the batteries in tip top condition. All my batteries have lasted a minimum of 12 years with one (on a V40) lasting 14 years.

Keith

12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    stuscrv likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have 6 optimates all mounted on the walls with long extensions for all the bikes and cars been using then for 18 years and never had an issue. My first Gen battery is 8 years old and its perfect.