Tyres & Wheels CR-V Tyre Deflation Warning System Changes

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 30th Apr, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Background Information
    In order to support owners who are more frequently using non OEM tyres Honda have changed the software to ensure the i--DWS system works within paramaters. This will enbale onweners to take advantage of increased functionality and give more flexibility to choose non O.E tyre and wheel sizes.

From technical analysis of CR-V I-DWS (Intelligent Deflation Warning System) it has been found that in some cases the I-DWS MIL has been illuminated due to the use of Non O.E (including winter) types of wheel / tyre sizes.The current i-DWS system is programmed specifically for use of O.E wheels / tyres only.

In order to allow customers greater flexibility with Non O.E wheel / tyre sizes, a Non O.E wheel size option has been added to the HDS I-DWS menu.In cases where a owner has complained about repeated I-DWS MIL on and are using Non O.E wheels / tyre sizes, the ABS / VSA modulator should be updated using HDS software version 3.012.033 February 2014 or later to allow the Non O.E Wheel Size option to be selected.

Note: Before the VSA modulator is updated the vehicle should be inspected to eliminate a genuine tyre deflation warning due to a puncture or incorrect tyre pressure settings.

To Check the tyre pressures correctly following the recommendations below.

1. Measure the air pressure when tyres are cold. - This means the vehicle has been parked for at least three hours, or driven less than 1.6 km (1 mile). If necessary, add or release air until the specified pressure is reached.
    2. If checked when hot, tyre pressure can be as much as 30 – 40 kPa (0.3 – 0.4 bar, 4 – 6 psi) higher than if checked when cold.
    3. Set the tyre pressures according to the tyre pressure sticker on the vehicle door opening area.
    4 Initialise the I-DWS system after any change to the tyre pressure regardless of pressure value change.
    Note: The I-DWS should also be initialised if the wheels are rotated such as in routine servicing operation.

If you plan to use non OEM tyres please visit your dealer to get the VSA Modulator Updated to the latest code. Owners within standard warranty will received this update for free, outside warranty you may be charged for this. I would suggest to all CR-V owners regardless of what tyres you will use in the future get this update so you have backward compatibility and a trouble free operation with a wider selection of tyres.

This will also be filtered down to other Honda vecihiles equipped with I-DWS.

Toggerefc likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    bump anyone changing their tyres on the CR-V to aftermarket tyres ensure your TMPS software is updated.

Toggerefc likes this.
  3. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Our 62 reg manual petrol CR-V has had VSA software updated to New ID 1EG340 as bulletin SO-05-001-01 to ensure VSA operates after new tyres fited. Is this the same TSB re the TPMS reffered to above?

Has a master list of TSB's for CR-V 4th Generation been posted?

I now get dealer to quote TSB numbers on Pro-Forma Invoices as when Stop Start was done no TSB was given.

4. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    If TSB for TPMS is not SO-05-001-01 what is it?

5. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    CJ's originsl post on the TPMS issue is very interesting. Mine has been playing up for no reason since i bought it new. However, what I find interesting is that during this winter when i had my non OEM 17" x 60 profile winter wheels/tyres on, I had no problems at all but since going back to the original 19" x 45 profile set up that the car came with, it alarms every time I go on a 30-40 mile journey.

In light of CJ's post i wonder of if the19" set up isn't recognised by the car as "standard" but the 17" set up is. Anyway, it's going in for its 1st service on Wednesday, so i'll mention it to them, including the update available.

Keith

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I had issues with my first CR-V - a 2015 SR with standard 18" wheels - but no issues at all with my replacement 2015 SR with the exact same set up!

Go figure...

7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine came up with a warning but the tyre pressure had gone up so I let them back down, reset the warning g and it's been fine.

Have you guys got a tyre pressure reader to take readings every time you get a warning? Maybe it's a slow puncture./ leaking rim on one of the wheels?

8. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Further to post 5 above, car went in for its 1st service today (no problems but basically only consisted of an oil and filter change and a visual).

Mentioned the TPMS issue and it topped up that it was due a software update, although strangely, the service manager said that the car was originally set up for 18" wheels even though it came with 19" ones fitted. No explanation for the fact that I had no problems with the non-OEM 17" wheels and 60 profile tyres, particularly as the rolling circumference of the winter and original set up was within 0.2%.

Anyway, he assured me I wouldn't have any further problems, even when changing over to the winters - only time will tell!

One other interesting point is that the front brake pads had only worn by 5%, whereas the rear ones were down 10% and that was on just under 5000 miles since new. In my naivety, I always thought that most of the braking was done on the front, so it appears not, at least in an automatic CR-V.

Keith

9. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Both Accord & Civic manuals can wear out rear pads more quickly than fronts. With Electronic Brake Distribution it appears Honda may set up braking systems to apply rear brakes with more pressure than fronts to under light/moderate braking to both help prevent rear discs rusting up & minimise front dipping under braking.

FirstHonda and 155695 like this.
  10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Mine went off for the first time this week after having the car for just over a year.

One of the tyres was down from 33 to 29 - the others were fine - so I've topped it back up to the correct pressure and will keep an eye on it.

The system works, it's just a shame that the earlier cars had issues (corrected with the software update) which may cause many to think it is 'crying wolf.'

11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Unfortunately something is amiss either with one of my tyres or with the TPMS system.

Having checked all the pressures and re-set the system on Thursday evening it went off again yesterday. The pressures all seem fine, so to the dealer I go...:help:

12. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    With the track record my (and a lot of others) TPMS has got, I'd definitely put my money on that.

Keith

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The weird thing is I've had the car for over a year with no issues at all. Ho hum...

14. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Mine played up from day 1 but latterly only on longish journeys. Since the update was installed in May, I've had no problems but equally, no long journeys either. As I said at the time, time will tell. Good luck with yours and it will be interesting to see if the garage say you need the update.

Keith

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I should have known - as the system has been faultless in the 14 months I've had the car - that it wasn't 'crying wolf.'

It wasn't...see the big nail in the inner sidewall, and I needed a new tyre. The TPMS system possibly saved me a blow out on the motorway...:agree:

As always, the Aylesbury Honda service department sorted this quickly and efficiently. :GoodJob:

IMG_0526.

Ichiban likes this.
  16. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I'd have lost my money. Very difficult to see nails in that position without the wheel off the car. Unfortunately I still have little faith in the TPMS though.

Keith

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Keith, I think it's inevitable that you won't have faith in the system if you've had problems with it.

I haven't had any issues (my car must have had the update prior to delivery) so I should have known better. Anyway, fixed now.

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Isn't that an odd place for a nail to get to?

19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

It's obviously just caught it and then gone in as I've continued.

Just bad luck, but at least it proves the worth of the TPMS. Without the warning, I could have had a blow out in the motorway.

20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It is a good system and I'm glad it's available.
    I really like my TPMS.