Introductions CR-V Virgin

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by hardcoresoldier, Saturday 27th Sep, 2014.

1. hardcoresoldier Premium Member Club Supporter

Chris South Wales
    Hello everyone,
    New to the forum and new to Honda also. The reason i've joined is due to me purchasing a Honda CR-V for my missus birthday and i know nothing about them. A forum is always the best place to be when trying to gain knowledge on any particular subject and hopefully i can acquire that knowledge here.

Like i said, i've never had a Honda before and so far i have been mightily impressed with it, the build quality is quite astounding. It is a Honda CR-V Executive 2.2 I-CDTI. It is absolutely solid on the road and pulls quite well for such a big truck. I bought her from a friend and it's been well looked after but i'm looking to make my mark on her.

He had it mapped in Preston by a company called Viezu about 2 or 3 years ago which seemed strange as he lives in Swansea. Whatever happened i don't really know but it's been overtuned way too much. If you put your foot down hard in any gear she slips at around 2300 RPM. I asked him why he hadn't taken it back but he said he learned to live with it, i just think he didn't want the hassle of going all the way back to Preston to sort it out.

I'm in a quandary at the moment, i would like to take it back to Viezu to give them a chance to rectify their mistake but on the other hand i know a local diesel mapper. With the previous owner not having taken it back himself to fix then i think i'm ICE skating up a hill with the first option, what do you think?

I've also been looking for roof rails but when i've been selecting my model on various websites they have all been coming up as incompatible, is it because of the panoramic sun roof?

Like i said, loads of questions, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction so i can start getting to know her.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK Chris. I'm pleased you found our community. :welcome:

She looks smashing. Please post up a set of photographs in the Club Garage.
    I'm not the one to answer your mapping questions, but there are some very knowledgeable guys on here that can.

The most important thing to do to keep an I-CDTI healthy is to change the oil every 6000 miles, or less. (Plenty on the site about this, in the CR-V and Accord sections)
    Engine oil Change i-CTDi • Honda Karma

As for roof rails, there is some info here, 2008 CR-V Genuine Honda Accessories List • Honda Karma or phone our preferred dealer, Holdcroft Honda.

Holdcroft Honda
    Sneyd Street
    Stoke on Trent
    ST6 2PB
    Tel: 01782 261593

They will be able to help. When you progress to Club Member status, you will be eligible for discount at HH, plus free, next day postage to your home.

You can also find out more about your new girl on this link. 3rd Generation (2006-2012) • Honda Karma
    That should keep you busy for a while. :Hey:
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom
    Welcome to HK, your car looks just lovely. Glad you are happy with the quality. Honda really do make nice cars. This is definitely the best place to come for advice. The cdti engines are very strong and if looked after, go for a long time but they do have a few well known issues.

I am also not an expert or knowledgeable on mapping but I am sure someone who is will be able to offer you proper advice. They do like eating their clutches and flywheels especially on mapped engines. The turbo kicks in at around 2000 roughly so it sounds to me that it could just be a slipping clutch. Tell us some more about her? Mileage, service history etc. Look forward to seeing more pictures of her when you get a chance.
    Last edited: Saturday 27th Sep, 2014
  4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Welcome and congratulations on buying the best vehicle that Honda make :Devil:. I've decided to get mine remapped with Celtic Tuning so will let youknow how I get on.
    DeviateDefiant likes this.
  5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK Chris. Nice looking CR-V. :welcome:
  6. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mines an 09 petrol automatic. Best truck iv'e ever bought. You will grow to love it when you get it sorted.
  7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club. I agree with @Nighthawk, the slipping to me sounds like the clutch under heavy torque, a common issue with remapped I-CTDI. Unfortunately replacement can hit the 4 figure mark, it's a job most of us would recommend leaving to Honda as they have the correct alignment tools and few other garages do, nor follow the correct procedures. Either way, unless it becomes undriveable it doesn't sound like an immediate cost to bare at least.
  8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

:welcome: To the club. I do like a good CR-V especially in black.
  9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    There's some good reading in this thread: Engine & Gearbox - i-CDTi Remap Discussion (Superchips, Celtic Tuning) • Honda Karma

Different car but it's the same engine and unfortunately Bones has had disappointing results but the slipping clutch was also mentioned by the tuner, although I'm not 100% sold on that. It's put me off mapping my CR-V for just now as I've rarely found the need for any extra power as my driving style has completely changed since switching from the MPS. I also envisage keeping my licence for much longer now lol
  10. hardcoresoldier Premium Member Club Supporter

Chris South Wales
    Hello all,

Thank you all for your replies and some good advice that will hopefully point me in the right direction. Please accept my apologies for the lateness of my reply as i very rarely get the time to post due to working pretty much 365 days a year! That's kids for you.

Thank you also for the welcome and i'm really glad i bought this truck for the family. Like i said, she is rock solid on the road and i'm getting about 39 miles to the gallon on derv which i'm very happy with. My missus previous jeep was a Toyota Rav4 2 litre petrol and was a pile of shit. Her reason for buying it? It had a nice arse! We were lucky to get 22 miles to the gallon out of it so i'm glad to see the back of it. It felt like driving a tin can about.

In reply to Nighthawk, she's on 132000 miles at the moment but you wouldn't tell, she's as quiet as a mouse. It has a fully stamped service history, the first 125000 miles worth of service history were done at Norton Way Honda until 2010. My mate has had the truck 3 years and only done 7000 miles in it, stamped by his own garage.

In response to Deviant Defiant, my mate has told me that if it is determined that the clutch is at fault then he will change the clutch free of labour charge as long as i pay for the parts, which i am happy with. The slipping issue isn't a problem if you are driving sensibly, but you never know when you might need to power out of a situation, so i'll be looking at getting this sorted sooner rather than later.

Once again, thank you to everyone for their replies.