Tyres & Wheels CR-V winter driving

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Mike c, Thursday 1st Nov, 2012.

1. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Hi guys, having had my CR-V ( series 3)for just a few months, I have yet to experience it's capabilities in the wintertime .
    How capable is it in ICE and slush?
    When the 4WD comes into play is it noticeable or is the transition smooth?
    Mike c:Wink:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Very capable in the snow, slow and constant throttle will give ample traction. The transition to 4x4 can be felt but it reassuring and it won't catch you off guard at all.

RichT likes this.
  3. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

That's good to know, I have driven many 4WD vehicles including original ww2 American jeeps as well as the modern land rovers , Subaru , toyotas etc but they have all had selectable 4WD and low range boxes.
    It is good to know that my Honda will be in control!!

4. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    I noticed the topic was titled PETROL CR-V, but assuming that the same would apply to the diesel version also. Sure hope so, one of the reasons for buying a CR-V is because I live in a very rural area and snow drift etc are quite common.

5. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I suppose there could be a difference between petrol and diesel in as much as the diesel has more torque than the petrol. There must also be a slight difference in weight over the front wheels.
    Greater torque could effect the way the system reacts to slip as in slippy conditions the diesel would "break away" quicker due to the additional torque.?

andymo likes this.
  6. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Yes all good valid points Mike.
    I have just spoken with a friend who owned a diesel CR-V and he said it was a boon to him in snowy conditions, never let him down and he was never stuck in snow up to a foot deep.

7. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Well the last few weeks have given me the opportunity to see just what the CR-V can do and I am very pleasantly surprised.
    I have not once worried about going into snow filled car parks / streets and the car has not faltered once.
    I am so glad I changed to the CR-V; a brilliant car.
    Regards
    Mike c

RichT and SpeedyGee like this.
  8. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Snap, been in some really bad car parks etc over the snowy time, and never had a problem. Others were struggling a lot though, lots of BMW's having to be pushed to get them out of the snow.
    Like you can only praise the CR V.

9. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Usually due to excessively wide tyres and drivers who haven't got a clue. Put those in any order you like :Rolf:

Cheers,
    Graham
    (who takes the 90 when conditions get serious :Smile: ).

SayamaAccord likes this.
  10. Slimbaldy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    Been good for me too, going into a snow covered frozen quarry first thing in the morning, piece of cake.

11. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Same for me, three point turn in a pub car park required the need to reverse into a incline with a good covering of snow. Would never had attempted it in my previous car. Honda acheived this manouvre without a hint of wheelspin or fuss. More snow please bring it on (bit selfish that bit)