General CR-V with idle issue

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by ninja900UK, Sunday 3rd Jul, 2016.

1. ninja900UK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Martyn banbury
    Good morning guy's.

Was hoping I could get a little help or some pointers my Dad is having problem's with his CR-V.
    Thought I'd post this and then have a scan through the forum.
    Thanks for any reply's and help in Advance.
    52 reg Honda CR-V 2.0litre Petrol Automatic.

Dads engine basically died not sure what the exact issue was, but a replacement engine was bought used I think through flee bay.
    can't tell anything on the history as it was sourced and fitted by Someone he knew I believe a DIY mechanic. from what I here he does know a thing or too.
    Anyway from what my dad has told me Engine came in Bloc form with chain plugs etc fitted, but everything else was connected from his old engine.
    Apparently when the gear box was fitted it was dropped and casing broke. So with that second hand gear box sourced and fitted.
    So everything done the car starts and runs and drives. but the problem he is having for over a month now, is that on start up the revs jump to 1,500 revs in Park and over a few second's increase to 2,000 revs for a second or two then drops back to 1,500 again. this seems to be a rinse repeat.
    The guy that fitted the engine etc has apparently no idea what it is, and thus disappeared. I think he took his money and run, But I am told he isn't like that. Really !!
    My dad did take it a few week's back, to a garage that he knows who are usually pretty good but they didn't really have the time to look over it but pointed towards the sensors and control valve. Unfortunately I was not around at the beginning of all this otherwise thing's would have been a little different. My dads a pensioner with disability and spent near on £1800 on this when I believe it would have been a lot less sticking it into a dealer or garage from the beginning.

So im going to try and crack this myself if possible. I do my own DIY things brake pads etc, anything that's simple. Largest project was that some years ago I Had a Freelander with K series engine and with help from a forum managed to do a dreaded Head gasket change myself. Actually stunned myself I was capable.
    Just looking for some pointers and suggestions to get me started. And really hoping I can find something through this forum to help save my dad any more cost.
    Besides given him an I-pad with a link to this forum so he can also do a bit of reading himself. when I Was younger I always remember him under the bonnet or legs from under a car, but disability now restrains him.

sorry for long post but thanks for reading.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you got any DTC codes of the car? that will give us some indication to find the root cause the list of troubleshoot this is endless.

3. ninja900UK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi mate thanks for response.
    Haven't been around for few days.
    Will get over to my dad's tomorrow and post back...

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Need to see what The car is doing using a diagnostic computer. There will no doubt be a sensor out of range. Hopefully it won't be down to anything mechanical. But from a forum point of view impossible to say what it is really.

5. ninja900UK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Morning popping over to my dads' in awhile to check for any code's that I can post back for you guys'.
    Have read somewhere on the net that an airlock in the system could cause this symptom, What you think if I try a drain re-fill too.
    Read they can be a nightmare with same sort of symptom if not filled and bleed correctly.

6. ninja900UK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guy's

So drained and refilled the coolant system with sealed funnel on the rad, and kept the water half full in the funnel to make sure no air got in. had the motor on an incline to bleed the system and all went well. Didn't think it was the system but all air drained successfully I believe and still the same problem.
    The only code that keeps returning is PO118, On some research online found it to be Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit . However haven't found anything that suggests this would cause this symptom. I was next thinking maybe a Vacuum or air leak of some sort.
    So I have booked it into a local Auto Electrical & Mechanical Engineer for a full diagnostic, thought this may be quicker to find the problem. £25 + VAT seem's good.
    Will post back with the finding's.

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Just checking: Did you put the heater on full when you were bleeding the air out of the system?

SpeedyGee likes this.
  8. ninja900UK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes mate had it turned on full.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    This could be any number of things. I would start by a) eliminating vacuum leak as a cause and then b) take the throttle body off and check if the IACV is moving freely. My gut feeling is, is that the IACV is not working properly.

So I would check those two things, see how it goes and then if it's resolved move onto looking at other things.

10. ninja900UK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks mate.
    Hopefully from talking to this guy he seemed to think Vacuum leak so when he does his Diag hopefully this will be found or ruled out. I initially thought a sensor/ throttle body. Was only from the searching on this problem I found the
    info on water system could cause these issue's especially if the system had been drained etc. which led me to thinking ' The engine has been replaced so maybe it weren't refilled correctly.
    But I will check these thing's you suggest once it's had a Diag.
    thanks again for help and will post back soon.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I done plenty of engine swaps and found that on cars that have been sat around unused for a number of months. The IACV always jams and causes this hunting that you describe.

An airlock in the cooling system can also the cause.

12. ninja900UK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys
    So had the car in for diagnostic yesterday and the report back was

Full system diagnostic
    Faults on o2 sensors
    Faults codes po133 and
    Po141 wording or o2 sensor faults
    Also temp gauge not working.

My brother straight away changed both lambda sensors for brand new ones.
    Guy said he found no vacuum leaks. Problem persists.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So have the O2 sensor codes dropped off after the new sensors.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I think there's probably too much gone on here with the engine change etc for us to know exactly what's going on and advise you over the internet.

Please do keep us informed of any progress though.

15. ninja900UK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I believe so. On my way over there in a while. My brother is there at the moment. He was saying removing air box and holding his hand slightly over the pipe he can make the engine idle normal. But yeah a lot gone on with not being there iniatly will keep updated.

16. ninja900UK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all just to update..

Good news. Firstly Thanks to all posting and Top man Speedy.
    Taken a while for me and my brother to get on this. But this morning we popped over removed the throttle body and took apart the IACV.
    It was very blackened and although it did turn kept sticking. My brother gave it a good clean out (looked pristine when finished) as well as the throttle body itself and the manifold. stuck it all back together, refilled the coolant system and with Fingers crossed started her up. Car rose to about 14000rpm and finally levelled off around 1000rpm with none of the idling issues before. left her running a good 10 minutes with no return : ). Only problem she has is the Temp gauge doesn't deem to be moving but the fans do kick in it would seem at Temp. have found 2 Temp sensors I believe ... one on the radiator and one near engine is this correct. im presuming one on/ near rad is for fans and the other is for the temp gauge and that that may be the one I need to replace ?

But once again thank you for your help

17. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
    Can't report on the engine temps, but I do know that the CR-V will naturally idle high until it is warmed up. I'm assuming that the sourced engine came from another CR-V too yes?

18. ninja900UK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

19. ninja900UK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All sorted ... Sensor was not connected properly : )
    Thanks again guys

20. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Great result!
    Maybe time to add your car to the club garage now ;D