Pre-Facelift Model CR-V worth it?

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by compassuk, Wednesday 15th May, 2013.

1. compassuk New Member Getting Started

Hi guys,

I am new to the world of honda but having just had my Jeep written off I need another car.

I am after a bit of advice.

the vehicle I am looking at is as follows:

2007 new shape 2.2 diesel Ex Manual
    all the ex gadgets, leather sat nav pan roof cameras etc
    in black
    no towbar so hasnt towed anything

1 owner with full Honda main dealer service history

now the scary bit ... 139,000 miles

I can have the car for £7200 after negotiations but I am still scared of that mileage.

I do 8-10k a year and I need it to tow my 1300kg caravan a few times a year

should I run a mile or is it safe?

thanks in advance
  2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like too much money to me at that mileage.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Agree with Rob, seems overpriced for the mileage.
  4. compassuk New Member Getting Started

yeah thats what i thought.
    think ill give it a miss then
  5. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Just one thought: the price depends not only on the mileage, but also depends on:
    - General condition (wear, damage, interior scratches,...)
    - Technical condition: recent changed parts such as tires, battery, maintenance just done, brakes, etc, etc....
    - Accidents?
    - Full waranty for one year included in the price?
    Think about this:
    - my Accord had 50k miles, driven on 1,5 years and all highway when I bought her. It's worser to buy a 15k mileage car that went up and down every day to travel 3 miles.
    - once I owned a company car that I drove myself from 0 to 150k miles. And at that point (7 years later) you could not see the difference with a new one, inside, outside and technical point of view. I could have driven that car another 150k miles without any major problem.
  6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Diesel = ticking time bomb at that mileage.
    I'm under no illusions mine is 06 at 135k.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Wow I thought I would never see a day diesel owner actually admitting the I-CTDI were timebombs..
    Surprised and speechless, perhaps the reality has finally hit home for a few enlightened ones:Smile:
  8. compassuk New Member Getting Started

Bought an Outlander now :Tongue:
    seemed better priced and really fancied the 7 seats (even though they are tiny)
  9. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Congratulations. Thanks for letting know (even if it's not a Honda...:Smile:).
  10. compassuk New Member Getting Started

no probs, i appreciated the honest advice.
    57 plate outlander elegance with all the same toys that in the honda ex.
    100k FSH etc £6k so I was happy :Grin:
  11. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Why is the I-CDTI a timebomb?
  12. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A question so important I asked it twice :Aghast:
  13. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So much too go wrong look in the faults section you will see a big list of potential problems so you need to be very careful when buying one you want one that's been looked after.
  14. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is it the red one that was on eBay last week?
  15. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mate, I've told you before I'm not deluded when it comes to diesels.:Whistle:
  16. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The ticking noise you hear coming from the engine isn't always the timing chain on its wsy out.
    It could be the manifold, the alternator, etc etc.
  17. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Strange - after four years of owning 2.2 Civic and membership of a Civic forum during that time, the only real issues I was aware of were early clutch failure and the EGR clogging up causing odd performance issues.

Could the 2.2's in Accord's have suffered from more issues for any particular reason?
  18. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I bought my FR-V I-CTDI with 136k on it, 1 owner, not massively well looked after body-wise but mechanically ok (so far).

I've done a 4 thousand miles on her and all is well so far. This talk of time-bombs is making we sweat!
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    To prolong the life of the I-CTDI you have to do oil changes at 5000 miles .. that will extended it life leave it longer they bite hard