Daily Driver CR-V

4th Generation (2013-2017) vehicle added by gpoler, Tuesday 10th Feb, 2015

1. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    smcnei likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @gpoler this thread is your Project Log.

Add details of your speaker changes in here :Smile:

3. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    hi,
    at the front I put the mid woofer Hertz EV165.5 and tweeters Hertz DT24.3 high efficency at over 93 dB/W
    at the rear a couple of coaxial Hertz DC165.3

some trouble for finding adaptors for the doors here in Italy but finally I found the right one and a little troubling for adapting the cable connector for tweerter ( very useful some old computer stuff whit a lit OP multipin reusable!)
    I selected this brand because of quality and efficency, a real upgrade from stock drivers , and only with the OEM radio ( 40x4) I can get a pleasant sound , not something shaking but much more deep bass ( not a subwoofer!) and crisp high.

I think tha the car with premium sound will benefit a lot of this upgrade, As soon as possible I'll take some pics of tweeter intallation ( all in the predisposed location and almost invisible )

P.S.
    you can find diagrams and detail about the drivers at hertzaudiovideo.com

107. 10733816_714.

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 11th Feb, 2015
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sounds like you've picked some quality speakers there.

Any plans on adding an external amplifier or are you happy with the sound system now ?

Any further mods planned for your CR-V ?

5. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    hi, I planned to add a little amplifier, ( like clarionXC1410 or focal FD4.350 ) but after listening a little I think the drivers upgrade would be more than needed.

On my old accord I've got a 6 drivers system ( I little troubled tweeter installation in the door!) with coral audio pininfarina 4x100W amp , but I cannot find a lot of difference with the new system ( ok a little more definition and punch in the accord!)

I'm thinking to add a little amplified sub under the passenger seat , but I need to take the signal from the source and I don't want ot make too much modification now.

6. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
  7. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

great to see someone else understanding the need to uprate what is classed as premium from the manufacturer
    great job and yeah the hertz speaker is money well spent :Thumbup:

uprated the speakers in my 3rd Generation CR-V recently with rainbow components. only done the front as the car is not designed for audiophile and speaker positioning is poor. did not even bother with the rears due to their very poor placement and they offer little.
    was going to amp as well but so far the alpine/honda unit appears to drive em ok.
    sound was night and day difference ... you just have t crank the volume more for the headunit to drive em properly

8. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    hi,
    you could put art rear, a couple o 165 mm woofers, the window will not get even close to the magnets ( it stops at about 2/3 of door height) and this could add more punch to the sound.
    I choosed Hertz drivers because of their efficency (93 bd/w) and the fact that the woofer will be cut mechanically at about 4KHz so you didn' need a complex corssover, if the tweeter will arrive at 3Kz the sound image will benefit from a more high front .
    ( you're right, not a Hi-End system but a pleasant one )

the real troubel is to get signal from the head unit ( mine is not premium, so not preamplified output) and also a sort of loudness always in function,

Now I read that for 205 model will be as option a sort of dsp/ amp that could be added aftermarket, ( somebody like bassworks amp for the old Civic)
    I can wait some weeks for getting more info about this.

9. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
  10. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

hi

yes absolutely could have went down a custom route and get speakers properly positioned. i toyed with the idea getting a pillar builds done etc but I just could not justify the cost. My wife drives the CR-V majority of time and she has no real interest in music. So do go all out for a couple of days per week I just thought too much hassle. The upgrade to decent speakers and a good amount of sound deadening has made a positive impact.

The Rainbow's were the personal choice of my installer but I have Hertz in my Civic (see project log) so fancied trying something else.

regardless of what people think. anyone who believes they have got a premium sound system installed in their car regardless of what name is flaunted on the interior trim there is massive compromise by the manufacturers. it all boils down to cost. i have seen the tat that comes out of premium motors it would scare you what is there. What comes out of our beloved Honda is a travesty ... they just put utter crap in. Any investment into a decent quality set of speakers and cabling along with sound deadening will make a massive difference to your entertainment system.

rant over! :Smile:

11. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    a good cable sistem is a must if you add more power , but remeber that a couple of meters of cable will not do much difference if you are under 50W for channel(RMS), the OEM cable is little but the real copper section is not so bad, ( ok not a 2,5 square mm !) and if the car is under warranty I prefer not ot dismantle the original cable ( if you look at the coil of "hi-end"crossover you will found that the cable used is 0,5 o,8 mm copper long over than 2 meters and always putted in line with woofers!).

now I'm Just trying to add a amplified sub , ......but I'm searching for getting the pre out from stock amplified radio.