Engine & Gearbox CR-X Patience of a saint

Discussion in 'Classics & Heritage' started by Eifion, Tuesday 7th Jul, 2015.

1. Eifion Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Jonesy Wrexham
    Finding it a bit difficult to find my way around at the mo ,would like to ask questions but not really sure how lol ,I'm not very techy so patience required I'm almost at the MOT point of my CR-X ,failed on minor things (brake light bald tyre and binding front brakes )just need to sort brakes and I'm away ,will try to!navigate my way around site better bit by bit but if anyone sees this and has any tips particularly regarding binding brakes please let me know many thanks .

2. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    The binding brakes will be one of three things either the caliper slider pins seized (remove clean and grease) or the pads seized into the carrier (take out pads clean carrier of rust/dirt and refit pads making sure they are free moving) lastly the piston seized in the caliper (pump brake with pads out until piston is nearly out and then push back the dust seal clean piston and lubricate if this does not work you will have to remove the piston and clean the caliper and piston properly and rebuild)

exec likes this.
  3. Eifion Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you for the reply ,piston seals were perished had to replace there was no hope for them ,appreciate you taking time to get back to me look forward to picking your brains soon lol thanx again .

4. korky Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wish you well with your M.o.t issues, nice to come across another CR-X owner on this site.

5. Eifion Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that got it through MOT ,caliper pistons were pretty shot though ,but managed to get set off eBay for £45 so all good now just need to start getting it looking as good as it should but a fun car to drive in the sun ,its my second Del Sol hopefully will be able to keep keep this one anyway thanks again for taking time to reply .

6. korky Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great news, this is my first CR-X and I love it, I had a Civic esi until it got rear ended about 2 years ago, I bought it when it was 3 year old and it was faultless, wanted another esi but they are all in pretty poor shape now, so thought I would try a CR-X, mechanically its near perfect, rear arches are rotting but thats to be expected, I MOT it recently after owning it about 1 year sailed through with no advisorys, not bad for a L reg.the paintwork is poor and in need of a decent respray, hard to justify 800 quid on a car that cost 1000, just had the cam belt changed and auto transmision oil changed , apart from that a thermostat, it runs like new.

7. Eifion Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello again I know what you mean with the respray its expensive ,and the rear arch problem is universal I think mine aren't to bad gonna get them sorted but like you doubt I can justify a respray ,besides the samba green colour has grown on me so will try to paint just where its needed most ,the cambelt is the next job as I have no history then refresh mechanicals as I go along and as you say they drive lovely and so unusual people seem to love them will try to post a few pics soon .

8. korky Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Samba green is the definitive colour for these cars, would really like to see the pics.
    - - - Updated - - -
    What mileage has your car got ?

9. Eifion Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi ,its on just short of 90000 ,wasn't struck on colour at first but its grown on me looks lovely parked up in the sunlight .

10. korky Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My Civic esi, had 140,000 miles untill as previously mentioned got rear ended and wrote off, the engine was still incredible I feel sure 200,000 is no problem as long as decent oil changes are kept up, can't wait to see pics of your car, strangely samba green on a CR-X looks great, and I don't like green.

11. korky Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, to inspire you to send some pics, I took some today, the last 3 were taken last august and show my friends Del Sol, unfortunately about 2 weeks later it got stolen, recovered and subsequently wrote off, it doesn't take much for the insurance companies to write old Hondas off, the way forward is to use a Disk lock,

20150721_162354. 20150721_162257. 20150721_162243. 20150721_162306. 20150721_162334. 20150721_162319. 20141025_111240. 20141025_111145. 20141025_111016.