Bulletins & Advisories CR-Z No Longer Available in the UK

Discussion in '1st Generation (2010)' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 12th Mar, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    1.6 Diesel Earth Dreams Technology engine available on Civic & CR-V has forced Honda to make this decision. Its quite clear to see the response from the market in favour of diesel engines, no one is interested in Hybrid technology in Europe.

So sad to see a funky little car being withdrawn primary due to a diesel engine.:Frown: As of yesterday no more fresh CR-Z and Insights will be imported into Europe and all existing stock will be sold, and there is quite a few of brand new CR-Z sitting around in select model trim and colours so speak to your local dealer if anyone is interested.

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Shame, always liked the look of the CR-Z.

Who'd have thought it would be discontinued before the Accord?!

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Dumb move by Honda.

They could have dropped the 1.6 I-DTEC in there and I'd have been first in line to buy one.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Agree it's a weird one. Must be sales related, but not very forward thinking IMHO.

Give it a few years (max 5 - 10) and I think diesel will start to decline in Europe, and the smart manufacturers will be into efficient petrols and petrol / hybrids. VAG already into that in a big way with their "TSi" engines, and the first Audi petrol/hybrids now coming on stream (A3).

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can't see the love affair with diesel ever ending in Europe! personally unless hybrids close the gap to diesels overall MPG there is no way in hell people will jump ships.

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wait for the evergrowing DPF issues to pop up, come 5/6 years we'll see a change towards these hybrids.

7. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    I don't think it will take that long.
    The bottom is going to drop out of the small diesel market with the latest pontification by the likes of the Capital's Boris. Sooner or later this is going to be taken up by government(s). Some say hybrid is the way forward, but I still don't think this is a 'holistic' approach - battery materials / manufacture / disposal are not particularly green, and hybrids really aren't much better than a small well tuned petrol engine on its own.
    I did like the loook of the CR-Z - give me a 1.5 litre petrol with LPG and I might well have been tempted... :Smile:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    LPG :party: :Thumbup:

9. Samantha Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The big advantage a Hybrid offers is the ability to make use of regenerated power that would otherwise have been lost as heat mainly. That energy would otherwise have been wasted, so obviously a good thing to capture and use it.
    Having this tech on current cars means that they continue to develop and improve.

Personally, I would have liked it if the CR-Z could be in 2 specs - 1 with a 1.4 SOHC and hybrid assist which could get under the 100g/km level and be free from congestion charge and very cheap to run, and one with a 1.6 DOHC engine, with hybrid assist activated with a KERS like boost button which could offer the performance to suit the styling.

Having said that, I have really enjoyed my CR-Z, I have put 64k miles on it and it's main thing is handling - it is really fun to drive, looks great, is different and does attract a lot of positive responses. During my time with it, I have averaged 49mpg which bearing in mind the fact petrol is cheaper than diesel, and service costs less - I think it compares very well.

It is not the quickest car. It is not the most economical. But as a compromise to offer a bit of both, it meets that absolutely & I will miss mine.

DeviateDefiant and SpeedyGee like this.
  10. Samantha Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh - and if people love the oil burners so much - why do Honda not offer a hybrid diesel?

Also - wonder what the cost/benefit payback calcs would look like if the panoramic roof was a solar panel?

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Speaking of imports, my local dealer said they didn't do Accords anymore because they were losing money on each one due to import charges etc. Is this true and could this also have had an effect on the CR-Z?

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That can't be true, otherwise, solely by that premise manufacturers that only import would have gone bankrupt by now. Far from being bankrupt they seem to be thriving quite well in fact.

13. Samantha Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would find this hard to believe in part for the reason given above, but also in most large multi-country operations, there is a country HO and then dealers (as is the case with HUK) and the HO takes all exchange rate risk and benefit. They in effect buy all the import stock and then the dealers get them paying in GBP. That way they can employ clever people in the treasury department to smooth out ForEx impacts and even make some money on them sometimes.
    Plus of course they ship in higher volume than a dealer would and so can import cheaper than if each dealer sourced their own.
    It would be very strange (and costly) if each dealer has their own Yen account and has to trade in foreign currencies.

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I don't think the currency would be an issue as ultimately it all goes back to Yen anyway for the entire company, but asyou say fx can be handled efficiently when it's over big company but i was thinking of shipping costs etc. I also don't know if there's a difference with import duty from Japan and say Germany or other EU country?

15. Samantha Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

They will still want to manage the currency from 1 central - not have all the dealers having to work in 2 currencies. The dealership books will all be recorded in GBP as will HUK and then they will have one line for currency impact which depending on how they have the intergroup accounts set, either will be equalised in the UK books or Group accounts in Japan. This will be agreed so they can balance all the inter-group balance sheet records.

I am pretty sure the dealers will order via HUK and they will pay the price set by HUK. This price could of course have been changed to recognise higher shipping costs, but generally they would set them such that at the agreed Retail, the dealers should be making the agreed margin.

16. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes you're right Samantha. The dealers all order via HUK Logistics (in Avonmouth I think) and pay a set franchisee "trade" price . All dealer sales have access to Honda UK Logistics system and can see real-time UK stock levels of every model along with projected lead times for factory orders.

17. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    I guess Honda are a lot larger, but the exchange rates caused Daihatsu to stop importing cars to the UK several years ago. They did continue spares and servicing support...

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Perhaps they could start building the Accord in Swindon... :Fear:

19. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    :shock: :Whistle:

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Are you trying go give CJ a heart attack ? :lol: