Electrical & Lights Cracked Door Mirror

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Moniker, Wednesday 31st Dec, 2014.

1. Moniker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Help!

Silly frost has killed off my passenger door mirror with a crack from top to bottom.

Has anyone attempted to replace the door mirror in an Accord with a heat element and fold mechanism?

Is this a DIY job with parts or a garage job?

image.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Moniker likes this.
  3. Moniker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great reply, hopefully the complete disassembly won't be required to just do the mirror glass, but if I need to look at anything amiss in the door again I'll go back to that guide!

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ooops, sorry I should have been more specific. You don't need to remove the mirror assembly to replace the glass.
    20141101_103240.JPG
    The two sections from that guide that are of interest to you are, removal :-
    20141101_110529.JPG
    And replacement :-

Attached Files:

Moniker likes this.
  5. Moniker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Door mirror glass arrived from Holdcroft Honda this morning (VERY well packaged!) and I set about replacing the cracked door mirror.

The manner in which it was clipped onto the door mirror was obvious once I saw the rear of the new glass. On the Accord you need to motor the mirror all the way up and unclip from the bottom of the assembly. What isn't obvious from the post above is just how well stuck that mirror glass is! There is a large portion of bonding glue at the rear of the mirror from the factory fit and the clips do require a fair bit
    of force to remove the glass. I used a chamois cloth and a scraping tool to ease the old glass out. It wasn't having any of it and cracked further with the slightest application of force.

Mirror shards are very very sharp!!

Beware of the thin wires for the heated element as you remove the glass, these are top, closest to the car.

New mirror reattached with a firm and even application of force and the aid of the chamois cloth again. Although the main clips were to the bottom you need to apply pressure from the top to the bottom to ensure it is evenly seated.

image. image. image. image.

Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Thanks for reporting back in detail and pleased to hear that you successfully managed to change the mirror over.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds