Engine & Gearbox Cracked Manifold :(

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dave, Saturday 14th Nov, 2015.

1. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've had my suspicions for a while so today I took the heat shield off and sure enough far right hand side bolts and heat shield are black :Frown:

So looks like she'll be seeing a meeting with a welder at some point very soon!

Anyone whose had there manifold off have you changed all the gaskets? I'm tempted to due to the age and mileage.

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Had manifold problems with our Yaris but I replaced it along with the gasket. Picked up one from eBay but bought a new gasket.

3. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Daniel London
    What are the symptoms of this?

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Excessive exhaust fumes getting into the cabin, particularly when cold. But fumes in the cabin can also be caused by a leaking injector seal.

5. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Daniel London
    Ah cool, just curious.

I been having some smoke coming out of exhaust and I can literally see it in my front mirrors for the first 10-20 minutes of driving even if it's not THAT cold but I guess it's cold enough to have it. But I am guessing Honda's like to be sat warm for like 10 minutes in slightly colder weather before driving away? It was also happening when temp outside was 12-15C, just weird because my German cars I used to own wouldn't do that. Again, smoke disappears after 15 minutes or so though, people say it's condensation and I hope it is lol.

6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Should be all fixed this week hopefully spent a small fortune with Holdcroft for gaskets and seals and some other bits :Smile: no more horrible stinky fumes with a bit of luck!

Nels likes this.
  7. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What's quite worrying is there is 1 tiny crack in it so not really sure why the smell has been getting so bad lately. You can just see where he has marked the crack at the top of the picture. Fingers crossed it will be ok once welded up it is cracked right through into the weld inside the exhaust port.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449056055.685977.

hondream likes this.
  8. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

All welded up he's re-welded the corners just in case as well. Fingers crossed that it's all sorted now. Sounds like it's been a pig of a job the bolts he thought would be seized actually came out ok it was the rest that proved a problem and the turbo ended up staying attached to the manifold as he couldn't get the last bolt undone and couldn't get in with the gas torch to warm it up.

12308862_627783677361107_445306538_n. 12309234_627783690694439_1145410606_n. 12324983_627783680694440_638751560_n.

Ichiban, hondream and SpeedyGee like this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That does look much better. Is it working okay now @Dave ?

10. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Nels seems to be ok now although I've only used car for 1 day as the gf has had it this week.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:Smile: Looks like he's sealed it okay. :fingerscrossed:
    Keep us posted.

12. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well was out in it yesterday and sat in loads of traffic with the heating on and no smell so I'm really pleased about that :Smile:

John Dickson likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Happy days Dave, did you do the welding? Honda said this pre-facelift manifold was not supposed to do this.. so far I-DTEC manifold has held up so it would be worth seeing what they have done on the 8th Generation to make it more durable?

14. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No my boss's son welded it up for me to be honest after spending £80 on gaskets etc I did find someone selling brand new cast ones for £150 with gaskets which I was a bit gutted about but how good would a non genuine cast one be so that would have always been in the back of my mind.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Your is also a cast one mate since yours is a facelift all 7th Generation manifolds will go eventually.what you need is a custom one off made of titanium and the internals with a ceramic coating. That will set you back to the cost of the car lol.

16. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah well hopefully mine will be ok now for the rest of the life of the car providing winter doesn't take its toll on her too much I'll be keeping her for a few more years just had front discs and pads done needs the rears doing as well.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Drive it into the ground mate take every penny worth out of it , until the rust gets hold of it.:toothy:

18. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Glad to hear it's sorted @Dave good for the next 200,000miles :gohonda::party:

19. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Ichiban that's the idea mate she's been a great motor 10 years old next year too!

John Dickson likes this.