Crankshaft Pulley - beware of them things rattling

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by Legendliving, Sunday 10th Aug, 2014.

1. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Driving back from Paris last week and noticed a slight rattle at low speeds when usually it is silent. I ignored it and carried on. Then, fortunately back in England on the M4, thought I'd got a plastic bag caught under the car, then the alternator light came on - ignored that too - thought battery must be getting flat as that is usually preceded by random warning lights - like the SHAWD which came on next and then the CMBS. Got to my destination and the whole thing died - as I'm sure you clever people know - you can't even engage any of the gears with a flat battery. Crankshaft pulley had broken into its two constituent parts and the plastic bag sound was the belt dragging. AA Relay man brought me home and now waiting for the part to do the Japan to Belgium route to my independent Honda garage in Gloucester. He said he'd seen this occasionally on diesel CR-Vs but never on a petrol engine. I'm at 105,000 miles. Found a recent posting about an Acura RL with a bad crank pulley, so maybe a weak spot?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Probably not a good idea continuing with lots of lights on dash and noises coming from the engine.

Only really heard of pulleys failing on diesel cars, not heard of one failing on a Honda petrol engine before.

What's the mileage on your car ?

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You are dead right. Complacency which comes from having driven hundreds of thousands of miles in Hondas. For example bought a Civic coupe new when they first came out and did 290,000 with only a new radiator in 13 years. Then 190,000 trouble free in an accord coupe until the aircon packed up. Don't do so many miles now so just 105,000 on the clock of which I've driven 75,000. Had some CMBS issues but otherwise this ones been just as good. Just noticed this thread has appeared in the wrong place so hope someone can move it up?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Moved to 4th Generation section

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can you post pictures of the damaged Crankshaft pulley please?

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That's the first time I've heard of such an issue on a petrol too, then again we don't have that many J-Series engines in this country.

+1 for pics, interested to see what's happened.

7. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Here's the photos. The outer grooved section comes away as neat as anything leaving a smooth centre hub. IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0516.JPG

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So it's hard rubber insert like the I-CTDI engines. Amazing for it to bust like that.

9. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not really - NSXs do that too (it can wear through the timing belt casing with disastrous results) and so you probably had a very lucky escape.

I've heard of crank pulleys going wobbly on H22s too, although that's usually Woodruff key failure.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    strange never seen one personally , I can't see how you can install a pulley incorrectly on the crankshaft? maybe when the timing belt was changed?

11. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

No it's not hamfistedness - it takes a bit of a pull to get the pulley off the spline and the stress appears to weaken the bond with the rubber vibration damper/distort key, depending on model.

Failure is normally noted soon after a cambelt change.

Thus, it's recommended to do the water pump, pulley & auto tensioner at the 12 year change. It costs a few quid (get the parts form US or AS in Holland!) but it's cheaper than a blown engine.

Ichiban likes this.
  12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Well said !

13. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mine failed 7500 miles, and 8 months after cambelt change

14. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    I had exactly same problem with my 1993 Legend Coupe, that outer ring just felt off when i was accelerating to the highway, RPM`s were something like 4500 and bang.
    Found it from the side of the road, still smoking hot, belt was also on the road.
    That ring slipping was also reason why i sometimes smelled burning rubber smell inside, specially after hard acceleration (wasnt burning tires)
    One guy who is making all kind of aluminium parts (pistons, pulleys, con rods etc) said that he could make it from billet but it is not wise because it is "harmonic balancer" in spare parts catalouge, not just pulley.
    It is dampening some vibrations and if you replace it with solid aluminium pulley you might get some bearing etc issues (Americans are doing that because weight saving and they are saying that engine will rev much lighter after the swap)
    I played safe and ordered it from dealer. Cost was about 550€

15. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Indeed; it's probably not quite so bad on the 60° J series, but the offset crankpins forced by the C-series 90° IA mean some pretty odd torque moments as the crank rotates. This would cause a lot of strain & eventually possibly tooth-jumping on the drivebelts with a billet in place of the harmonic damper.