Engine & Gearbox Crankshaft pulley

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Golfpatch, Friday 12th Apr, 2013.

1. Golfpatch New Member Getting Started

I have a 2009 CR-V with less than 80,000miles. The crankshaft pulley broke off and when I reported this to Honda UK all they would say was that they have never had this problem before. It was a very expensive pulley to replace. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and Welcome to AOC

I have heard of them developing vibration but there isn't a lot you can do on diesels it can happens.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For those who attend the HH meet we had a close up on the I-CTDI crankshaft pulley to see the big rubber damper within the pulley to iron out vibration.
    This rubber damper can develop play causing the rattling and unbalanced running causing the damage as the OP has experienced.

Why does this happen , I would primarily put it down to the state of the engine tune, if the engine is running rough misfire leaking injector poor maintained engine will cause excessive vibration which will gradually destroy the damper. The excessive damping cycle rate may cause the pulley to separate.lastly good old wear and tear and defect will accelerate the failure.

This issue is not uncommon nor has it been a case its rarely seen it does happen.

View attachment 9310 View attachment 9311