Engine & Gearbox Crankshaft seal oil leak

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by exec, Wednesday 24th Sep, 2014.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I've had an oil leak for a while and assumed it was the sump gasket so haven't really bothered fixing it, but turns out it is the bottom crankshaft seal that is the source of the leak, according to mechanic anyway.

So I need to get the crankshaft seal changed and whilst at it apparently its good to change the camshaft seal too.

Does anyone know if it this is an easy job to do? as i prefer doing jobs myself, but apparently the timing belt has to be taken off, in which case it will be too big a job for me to handle at this moment in time.

Also does anyone know the Honda part numbers for the bottom crankshaft seal and top camshaft seal? The Lings parts website has gone offline so i can't get the part numbers.

Cheers

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Thanks man, but the problem is the Lings website is gone, it just goes to the hosts holding page if you go to their website.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not a problem I will get them now. Piece of cake .
    - - - Updated - - -
    CG9 F20B6 Manual 6th Generation.PNG
    Item 27 Part Number 91213-PT0-003 OIL SEAL, 28X42X8 (ARAI)

CG9 F20B6 Manual 6th Generation1.PNG

Item 28 Part Number 91212-PAA-A01 OIL SEAL, 40X52X7 (NOK) or 91212-PAA-A02 OIL SEAL, 40X52X7 (ARAI)

Chunkylover53 and exec like this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Mate you are a star! :Hey:Thank you very much for this, where did you get them from? The Honda EPC software?

Is it worth buying a timing belt kit too? As apparently if oil has got on the belt then the belt has to be changed.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes I have the EPC software bought directly from Honda many moons ago. Well strip the timing belt side and see what condition the belt and tensioner are in. if there is oil contamination then change the entire kit.

exec likes this.
  7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I'm gonna buy a timing belt kit just incase, as I can't be without the car for too long, does anyone know if the water pump needs to be changed too? or can I just leave the one that is already in?

Also bought an EPC software from ebay, hopefully its the right one!

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will need to keep put the time and date in your machine prior to 2010 for the software to work or you change the date in the ini files . If you don't it will throw up errors the DB is old and you need to contact the supplier for a newer cd. Just bear that in mind

exec likes this.
  9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My mechanic suggested that the water pump is changed as the timing belt is done to prevent any issues in the future but he did note that the pump seemed to be in fine condition when he removed it (75k at the time).

exec likes this.
  10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ yeh its normally recommended cos it saves money in the long run doing at the same time, but i decided against buying the timing belt kit, all of the parts cost a whopping ~£300 :shock: and mine was only done 8,000 miles ago, so just need to find a way to inspect the belts to make sure there is no oil contamination, bought the two seals for £20 from HH though.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'd probably do the same if I were in your position @exec.
    If you can take plenty of photos, it would make a good DIY.

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Unfortunately this is going to have be a garage job, I live in a flat and working on the side of a road is not ideal and this job involves taking the engine out, which would need loads of other tools and beyond my knowledge!

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Oh right. If you don't have the facilities, you can't do the job.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Errmm I've not heard of an engine being removed before to change the crankshaft seal. I would think that removing the pulley, the timing cover and the timing belt, would allow access to the seal. The seal is the distorted and hooked out.
    New seal is tapped into place, timing belt, timing cover and pulley refitted. That's how I would imagine the job to be be done. No need to remove engine, although, still a labour intensive job though.

15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I thought the engine has to be taken out for the timing belt to be changed and the crank seal and cam seal are blocked in by that or connected to it, so doesn't all that have to come out? or am I being shafted? really worried about giving my car away to a garage to be honest, do not trust them at all and if I could do this myself I would.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Can anyone else chip in here. I've not worked on the 6th Generation engine but cannot imagine engine needs to come out to do the crankshaft seal.