General Cricket Future and T20 the messiah?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimjams, Monday 1st Aug, 2016.

1. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    That EU flag in my avatar must have been there ever since I joined. I'm sure that F1 is just as easy to fix, just get rid of all the daft ideas and go back to most of how it was 20 years ago.
    Until that happens I might go and see T20 cricket in the Caribbean

Last edited: Tuesday 2nd Aug, 2016
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    T20 as much as I like it its a slog contest close your eyes and hope it connects, there is no skill just a slog. T20 in my opinion is ruining cricket , we need another thread for this don't we?

jimjams likes this.
  3. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

do it, It might be an interesting discussion ....

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

They are not the only ones partial to a good game of cricket.
    I remember six sixes in a first class game some years ago.

jimjams likes this.
  6. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not sure of the following, and without looking, I'm not sure how easy it would be to Google ....

AFAIK the main difference between 5-day test cricket and T20 cricket is that in T20 the pitch does not deteriorate for the team that bats second.

So in a 5-day test, if you win the toss, you should always bat first. I have heard of teams winning the toss and putting the other team in first, but it is very rare, and AFAIK it's only ever done if the team who wins the toss expects weather conditions to change the next day to negatively affect the bowlers of the other team.

But in T20, if you win the toss, you're better off putting the other team in first, because then you know the target to get to.
    The CPLT20 is really good to watch, because the crowds are really buzzing, and it's great when the bails fly off (flahing lights in them). It looks really good, makes you wish you were there. In the UK, "T20 Blast" is in daylight, and I have no idea whether it's as exciting, might be a good idea to organise an HK outing one day ? ...(if there's enough interest)

So is T20 the "Messiah" for cricket ....yes I think it is

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

One of the good points of T20 is that it have brought in more people to cricket. That's got to help in the long run.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My bat well within my crease so no run out chances.here

Dude "AFAIK the main difference between 5-day test cricket and T20 cricket is that the pitch does not deteriorate for the team that bats second."

That will haunt you as purist that where the skill lies. Like motorsports what tyres what suspension setting what's the fuel strategy? . T20 is prime rubber when its finished & farked,its next in the production line start your slogging.

9. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yes and no., the point is that in 5-day cricket the pitch almost always deteriorates, so it's best to bat first. I wouldn't know how to find the stats, but I bet that the team that wins the toss in 5-day (and chooses to bat first) has higher odds of winning (unless the pitch suits one team's bowlers more than the other team's)

whereas in T20 the pitch isn't going to deteriorate, so it's usually best to bat second

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    To be discussed tomorrow, me batteries are low. Tomorrow I am picking up a piece of Honda history that I know NO one will have. so exited cannot sleep.

11. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ok

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Twenty/Twenty (as it was called originally in this country) was a lot of fun when first launched, mainly because it wasn't taken too seriously and the players enjoyed themselves. As @Nels says, it brought cricket to.a wider audience.

Unfortunately it quickly became more serious and has IMHO lost a lot of its appeal.

Test cricket will always be the finest form of the game for the real cricket fan.

I haven't looked at these stats in detail as on mobile, but they look interesting...

Stats: Winning the Toss and Batting First Propensities

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid:

14. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They are very interesting but IMO they don't help to decide whether winning the toss and batting first is always the best option in 5-day test cricket.

The reason is that the stats don't take into account the periods of domination by one team, which may last from one year to a decade (or two in the case of the WIndies). If you take the WIndies as a classic example, it made no difference whether they batted first or second against England in the 1984 whitewash against England (also known by the WIndies team as a "blackwash" LOL).

What would be useful is to see the innings scores of each team in all test matches (which would be an enormously long table). It doesn't matter which team wins, what matters is a fact that I have observed ....which is that the innings score in the second innings is nearly always less then the first innings.

But county cricket matches in this country are not 5-day, never having watched a country match, AFAIK they used to be 3-day and are now 4-day (or the other way round ?). But the attendances are dire, so the grounds are in decline.

IMO T20 is the way to go, one issue at the moment as far as I am concerned is that the T20 series do not last long enough in any country/area. But they do help to bring money into the grounds. Ten years ago I was lucky enough to be on a project in Jamaica during the cricket world cup, and I often discussed WIndies cricket with a Jamaican chap of my age, and he could remember when cricket was played by most kids in the streets whenever possible (much as in India at the moment) and he reckoned that that was why WInides were so dominant for long periods in the 70's/80's/90's. I commented that I couldn't see kids playing cricket while I was there, and he replied that that's due to the increasing influence of basketball and athletics.

If you watched the CPLT20 when it was on Dave, there was clearly a fabulous atmosphere, particularly when it was played under floodlights, and one of the advantages is that the pitch is not going to favour whoever bats first (which is the case in 5-day tests when equal teams play).