Engine & Gearbox Cruise Control does not work

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Nadeem79, Monday 1st Sep, 2014.

1. Nadeem79 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nadeem
    Bit generic in my title, but the issue i have is, that when driving along, and i have tried this many times, i have tried to activate the Cruise Control but it just doesn't work. The User guide states:

Step 1. Push in the Cruise Control Master Button on the steering wheel. The CRUISE MAIN indicator will come on.
    Step 2. Accelerate to the desired cruising speed above 40 km/h (25 mph).
    Step 3. Press and release the SET/DECEL button on the steering wheel. The CRUISE CONTROL indicator on the instrument panel comes on to show the system is now activated.

Now i have done Step 1 and CRUISE MAIN indicator comes on. But when it gets to Step 3. Nothing happens ... the CRUISE CONTROL indicator does not come on.

Am i doing something wrong here? I have checked the fuses to make sure all is well and yes, all is well. Apart from that, not sure what else i can do at home? Am I not doing something?

Has anyone had this problem? And how did they rectify it? Or does anyone have any ideas what i should check? Or how can i rectify the issue?

Thank you.

2. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Don't know too much about the system but have you made sure the brake lights aren't stuck on, thinking sticky switch maybe.

Hopefully someone more in the know will be able to help you more.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I echo what @SpeedyGee says above, the issues I've seen people have on the site are normally related to the points covered in the thread above.

5. Nadeem79 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nadeem
    Thanks to all above who replied and especially to SpeedyGee. Have read the thread you forwarded, and i think it could just be that. Am going to try the Brake and Clutch pedals trick and see if that makes it work.

6. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Daft question time, sorry. You do have the wording Cruise control permanently on the dash board don't you? Button pressed in?

When setting the cruise control to the desired speed you need to press the bottom of the SET/DEC button, once set all you need to do then is tap the top of the same button to increase set speed or bottom to decrease. It does not remember once the car ignition has been turned off so needs setting again and also if you press the cancel button (I think).
    - - - Updated - - -
    Cruise main on dash as above.

cc.

7. Nadeem79 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nadeem
    Hi Bones126, lols, yes, the button works fine and the Cruise Control indicator remains on till switched off. Bizarrely i got it working the other day and was ecstatic. Needless to say, the wife didn't share my feelings. But it only worked that once, so maybe it is the switches on brake and clutch which are causing the issue. Will try again, and then shall keep you guys updated.

Bones126 likes this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Bones126 @Nadeem79
    Not sure if you guys know this, but if you type @ name of member then they will get an alert notifying them of your post. As you type their name, you will see a dropdown list of choices.

Bones126 likes this.
  9. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    @Nels roger that :Thumbup:

Cheers

10. Nadeem79 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nadeem
    Right an update, well the pedal trick seems to be doing the job. Albeit, intermittently. But i was able to get the Cruise Control to work on my way to Birmingham last weekend. :Happy::BooYeah:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    good stuff , but get it checked out to why its intermittent.

12. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    My cruise control has also started to play up, tripping out on bumpy roads. I have read all the threads and assume the clutch pedal switch is the problem so have just spent a cold and uncomfortable hour in the footwell. I found the switch but couldn't budge the locknut between the switch and the top of the bracket.

While I was there I looked at the operation of the switch and concluded that the body of the switch acts as a stop for the clutch pedal (as described in other posts) and mine is in full contact with the plastic button on the pedal, and the pedal has free play on the cylinder actuating rod - so how do I adjust the switch without upsetting the pedal free play?

Sorry to be a muppet, but laying contorted on my back across the width of the foot well with my head under the dash does nothing for my diagnostic skills! Or my ancient back.

13. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Well, my inept fumbling under the dash must have done some good as the cruise is working perfectly again.
    I didn't adjust anything so I am thinking dodgey switch, I will get it checked out at next service.

Bones126 likes this.
  14. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    You need to see its operation using the HDS in data list. Only then will you know what the switch is telling the ECU. It will become quite apparent what switch is sticking as the value will be on while the pedal is not pressed etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 19th Jan, 2015
  15. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Thanks beefy, will do.