Electrical & Lights Cruise control doesn't work

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by burraston2006, Friday 11th Jan, 2013.

1. burraston2006 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just collected a 2001 2.0 v-tec and the cruise control doesn't work. When you press the master control and then press set the dash board light lights up but the cruise doesn't seem to be working. Can anybody offer advice or piont me in the right direction of a thread. I've had a quick look around the forum but haven't come across anything!
  2. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Think there is cruise control switch on clutch pedal that need adjusting.
  3. burraston2006 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

O.K! Does that mean that the car thinks the clutch is not engaged and therefore will not set the cruise?
  4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It means the switch needs adjusting.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's right, so adjusting the switch fixes this and the car then knows when the clutch is fully up.
  6. Elkingyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Aye, that's exactly what I had to do to mine. Easy fix :Grin:
  7. burraston2006 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi just tried the adjustment on both the clutch and brake sensors. I've pretty much screwed them both down as far as they go and the cruise control still doesn't work! Have I screwed them the wrong way or is there another problem I need to look into? Can anybody out there offer some more advice? Other than this annoying problem the car is going great!
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    On a safe stretch of road, try this ... get your left foot under the clutch pedal and pull the pedal upwards, try setting the cruise control.
    If it now works, this indicated that the pedal is incorrectly adjusted.

If it doesn't then repeat the same steps for the brake pedal.

Hopefully you'll find that the setting for the switch is not correct on one of these.
    Philzee and AccordCU2 like this.
  9. Philzee New Member Getting Started

My cruise control does the same thing and i need to nudge the clutch and brake pedal upwards with my foot before engaging. works well after that.....really should get those micro switches adjusted lol
  10. burraston2006 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tried that and it still doesn't work! Perhaps it just doesn't work!
  11. ROVER-25X Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What does the Dash switch look like on this Gen car ?
  12. burraston2006 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There's a square button on the right hand side on the dash behind the wiper stalk which switches on the cruise and then the set buttons are on the steering wheel!

- - - Updated - - -

Further update on the cruise control ( or lack of it! ).
    I've adjusted the clutch and the brake sensor as far as they go- is it possible to adjust them too far?! I can confirm that these sensors work as when I dab either the clutch or brake the green cruise control light switches off.
    The control switches on the steering wheel seem to be working as these will illuminate or switch off the green CC light.
    Under the bonnet there are two throttle cables. One is worked by the accelerator and the other disappears into some sort of magical black box ( on the RHS as you look into the engine bay ). Both cables were a little slack so I've adjusted them to take out the play.
    Guess what?
    The cruise control still doesn't work! Does any body know what the magic black box does and has it run out of magic?!
  13. drummatt Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Did you manage to find a solution to this problem?
    I've got the same problem on mine exhibiting the same symptoms as you and I've been trying to find a wiring diagram online or just any useful information about cruise control units! Not had much luck though.
  14. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This probably isn't going to be of much help but did you put your foot under the brake and clutch pedal then pull them up to make sure they aren't automatically cancelling the cruise control?

Also feel free to say hi in the introduction section :Wink:
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    its could be as simple as the cruise control which need switch which needs adjusting.
  16. drummatt Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did try that and the pedals won't go up any further than their default position.
    The cruise Control light comes up on the dash when you set it, and will go out if either the clutch or brake pedals are pressed, it just doesn't hold the speed, so I'm thinking electrically it might be ok and the problem may lie more mechanically with the vacuum or cruise unit itself.
  17. burraston2006 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The only thing I can think of is the black box on the rhs of the engine. After 12 months of it not working I've given up on it! Is the system vacuum or electrical? I was under the impression that it was electrical. The box says made in Brazil on it so I'm assuming that this is where the fault lies.
  18. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Have you tried replacing the switch on the clutch pedal. There's no guarantee it even works!
  19. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Check the fuse too
  20. hughezee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart Staffordshire
    The auto's are easier to suss:Search: if all else fails as discussed above, also check the connection to the unit :Thumbup:if its fine then replace the unit with known working one? I've replaced a few of these units and its a reasonably straight forward swap and used parts are readily available.

The car may age well in other respects other parts just fail with age m8y, but saying that the pre facelift accord cruise control units seem to last better amongst other things :Unknown: so don't be put off buying one off a 1998-1999 model