General Custom Plate - Worth it ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RogerH69, Wednesday 10th Sep, 2014.

?

Is this plate worth £250 ?

Poll closed Wednesday 17th Sep, 2014.
  1. Duh... YES !!!

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Erm... NO !!!!!

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Hmmmm.... not sure

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I was messing around and had a look at some custom plates, and saw this one was available. Got it on a new model Civic as a demo, but I'd be putting it on my 2004 Civic Type-S. Cost is £250.00

Worth it ?

mycar.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good way to contribute to the treasury, number plates net about £67million a year.

don't forget the yearly charges and chargers for transfer between vehicles and not just the one off purchase fee.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    There's no yearly charges if it's on a vehicle, but yes you have a transfer fee (included in the £250 for the first time I should add).

I have custom plates to transfer to my '07 still at the moment.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Been tempted with a private plate myself, I could pretend my car is several years younger :OTT:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Check out this plate I saw whilst out with the dog and ironically that is going to be their vote! lol

Yes%20Registration.

RogerH69 likes this.
  5. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I say yes, I have my daughters initials on my plate which she thinks is amazing!

6. T10KJC Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had my plate last 12 years I must have shares in DVLA .

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  7. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    I think personalised plates make the car individual. Giving my age away but I've had mine since 1988.

8. Dr Chaos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Normally no but I found one with a mathematics slant which I liked. Go for one which is quirky, I would love VOM 1T :Rolf:
    - - - Updated - - -
    My wife wanted BR10CHE which was funny but £4000???
    - - - Updated - - -
    image. This one was funny but the guy was actually a crook and lived near me. Got caught eventually and the plate did not help!!!!

SpeedyGee likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Saw this sometime back

4093371160_64d971442f_b.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The V6 clio has got a private plater too. It's a good one for TDK.

11. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Is any plate worth £250? Never mind the more costly variants?
    I might, just, have bought my amateur radio registration,but for years would not have had a vehicle new enough to put it on...

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've had personal plates on both my cars for years - just my initials, so don't mean anything to anybody else.

I like them personally, and the police once told a friend of mine who had his new BMW stolen, that personal plates make cars less attractive if the thief is looking to sell on quickly as the age of the car is hidden and it is just more hassle. No idea if that still holds true.

And another upside. I paid £250 for one of mine in 2002. Earlier this year I had it valued, and was offered £750 for it :clap:

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Should also add that my other plate starts "S2."

I bought it in the hope that Audi would launch a 2 series, with an associated RS2 so I could sell it on for a profit. I'm still waiting...:Whistle:

14. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Hmmm, I wonder how that £750 would have panned out had you decided to sell the plate on... Experience of a number of friends is that if they do decide to sell, all of a sudden the plate isn't worth anything near the original offer.
    I think the first owner of my '76 Morgan might have been a Traffic Officer - the reg was RTA 51R.
    Turns out the new owner was going to put a personal plate on the car. Should have kept it (plate or car!).

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Sneaky! I'd never even thought of that tbh. I got the valuation from one of the big companies that advertises in the back of the car magazines...and just sort of assumed that they would honour it, as it was made in writing via e-mail.

I don't want to sell it anyway...that makes me feel better!!!:Nuts: I think...

16. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My two pennyworth is if you can afford it and its not too ostentatious then go for it. Some can be really subtle, ie SM11 E** where ** could be your initials.... or TRIO MPH on a Triumph? It can be a thought provoking time just looking through whats available...

17. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Regarding private plates. When a new second hand car has had a private reg and gets its old plate back before you buy it cannot be changed. My old HR-V and my current tourer have non transferable plates. But I'm not personally fussed about a plate.