Off-Topic Daily dose of awww...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jables667, Monday 7th Mar, 2016.

1. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    So, while dropping my partner at the doctor the other day (routine stuff, nothing to worry about), this happened:

104542_12804473_228403977507326_798143868_n.

A cat took a liking to my car. She sat there from the time we left the car until we came back. She had to be picked up and removed, taking care that she didn't run underneath or in front. Pictures snapped by the missus, who thought this was adorable.

The weird part is that this isn't the first time this has happened. Rewind to July 2014, I was playing a gig at a former church in Brixham. I'd driven everyone there in my previous Accord which had to be parked some way away (which made carrying the hefty amps and other equipment literally back breaking) due to the venue being right on a main road. After finishing the gig, I was left to load all the equipment back into the car while everyone else went for drinks since I was the designated driver. Upon getting to the car, I noticed a cat hovering around. Thinking nothing of it, I gave him a petting and proceeded to load up. With the boot full, I went to open the driver's door and the furry little bugger hopped in and made himself at home. Heartbroken that I couldn't take him home (I'm a huge softie when it comes to animals), I removed him and went to pick up my drunken bandmates.

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I see a massive debate between the pro-cat and anti-cat factions looming... There are some who will be a bit precious about cats getting on their cars.

I love cats.

3. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    I'm not too fussed about them being on the car. It's when they decide to sleep under it that I start to worry...

4. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I currently have 3 cats and they keep clear of my car due to high level of polish.

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I hate cats

If one dares to sit on my car and I catch it, it should be prepared for an unscheduled flight across the road. Unfortunately, the horrid things are too quick for me.

Not the first time I have had minor scratches from cat claws on the bonnet or boot of my various cars as they slide down them.

Cats sense my love for them and tend to avoid me, dogs on the other hand love me. I am lucky enough to meet all sorts of dogs and its not the first time I have had a completely strange dog curl up at my feet when I am in a strangers house, and at times with the owners expressing surprise saying "He has never done that before". Dogs are great, loyal and faithful. Cats are selfish horrid vermin. :Whistle:

6. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Ahahahaha! You sir, you win the thread. I've not been so unlucky to have a cat scratch my car, but both my previous cars have been damaged by the children on my road. The way you feel about cats, I feel about children. Though like you, I am not a cat person. I mean, I like them and they like me, but dogs have so much more character if you ask me. Hence the psychedelic throw on my back seats. Dogs are awesome and somehow, they know I feel that way. In fact, animals seem to be drawn to me... Could I be some kind of God? Or do I just smell nice? I don't know... My gerbil will only happily perch on my shoulder or my head and eat Cheerios. Never on anyone else. Weird thing...

On a related note, does anyone else hate those high-frequency sound emitters people put on their lawns to deter dogs and cats from pooping there? Been to the hospital audiologist about tinnitus lately and after extensive hearing tests, it seems I have hyperacusis. Almost superhuman hearing. Abnormal frequency ranges for a human and low-level amplitude detection. Meaning that the tinnitus is actually a frequency generated by my own brain activity. Weird, right? But back to the sound-emitters (I felt I should explain why I can hear them), does anyone else find them debilitating? They're so shrill and loud.

Apologies for the ramble. Got my new prescription today. It tends to make me chatty and personable and you guys are the only people around! :eek:

Sybil Fawlty likes this.
  7. Nighthawk Guest

My wife loves cats, we have two in the house, the dog loves them too which I have never found boring yet. You can imagine the frequent chats the wife and I have over the two overgrown feline rats

8. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Today's "Awww" has a bit of a sad note. (I apologise that this is a sort of "as and when" thing rather than actually daily... I'm not busy, just lazy)

My little gerbil and best friend in the whole world, Icarus/Iccy, unfortunately passed on in the early hours of this morning. He rapidly deteriorated yesterday evening, apparently due to his old age. My partner and I stayed up all night with him until he finally went in his sleep. He was a tenacious and defiant little bugger, and he'll be sorely missed. Sorry to post such a bummer of a reply.

Just to add that all important "Awww", some photos:

Christmas day 2015. Iccy learned that he could climb my hair and perch on my head, then begin nesting.

12834736_10153932039764593_439984052_n.

My partner is a sucker for anything cute and fluffy. Needless to say, she adored Iccy.
    12825655_231648753849515_675194965_n.

Iccy loved people food. Especially popcorn!
    IMG_20140718_215845.

Between Iccy and his brother Prometheus (who sadly passed Oct 6th 2015), they helped me enormously through a time of psychological crisis. They helped me find my smile again with their adorable antics.

9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    aww... sorry to hear about iccy.
    *moment of silence*

10. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cats are cute and cuddly until they grow up
    Ah isn't he beautiful !

image.

OMG
    image.

11. Nighthawk Guest

Have him lie next to your front door. That will stop those unwanted door knockers visiting your house

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Shame we can't send him down the phone line. Now that would be a surprise for all those unwanted callers :Devil:

13. Nighthawk Guest

My cousin in Africa had a black adder which he kept on the front seat of his bakkie in a little see through box. He never once locked his truck and it was never touched. He used to feed it live mice and rats which it swallowed whole. Fascinating to watch

He was a bit mad though, still is...

Duc de Pommfrit and Nels like this.