Suspension, Steering and Brakes Damn MOT

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hsyasin, Thursday 6th Nov, 2014.

1. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    Hey chaps,
    I've been busy/lazy so thought to try out this garage for the first time close to work. So went in dropped my car off and called him afterwards when the MOT was done and he said, "all done and good to go" and I felt pride in my horse being strong and being able to pass with flying colors yet again:dance:
    But when i went in to pick her up, he said its passed but there's quite a few things that will need doing before the next MOT and he gave me the list:no:
    DSC_0639.JPG
    :shock:.
    How dare he point a his dirty finger at my lovely ride:Sobbing::Sorry:
    Anyways, guys, I'll take pics of the discs and pads and let u decide how bad they're.

don't know about suspension arms, but shes been driving really, i mean really well, also my trip to peak district was also quite pleasent with the car jam packed with my and friend's family and stuff in the boot.
    Anyways, do we have a diy guide here and does anybody know how much each cost?:Unknown:

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    What is item 9 all about?

3. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It was just my mobile holder

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good result is that she passed. What's listed are things that can be done before the next MOT. Yes, post up some pictures.

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wouldn't go back to that garage - that said upload the photos anyway.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Looking at that list, all those parts seem quite reasonable to fail. The upper control arms are easy to replace, discs and pads are too, never changed the rear suspension arms on my Gen 7 but have on other cars and they arent too bad to do.

All of those items, except 1 and 9, are safety ones so they are worth checking yearly and replacing as needs be anyway.

There is a DIY for the brake pads and discs on here, and the upper arms are easy to do depending on your level of skill. When you take the wheel off the car to take a picture of the discs, see if the upper ball joints are leaking etc.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    All four wheels to show that is strange, this car do a rally stage every morning ?

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Will be interesting to see those photos mate, some garages are notorious for giving out Advisories/ fails (touting for business) at least they are where I live! so let's see those photos and be worth jacking up each corner at some point and rocking those wheels at the top and bottom (6 and 12 o' clock position ) and see if there is actually any play. let us know how you get on.
    Cheers Pete

9. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yeah sort of:Grin:
    - - - Updated - - -
    @Nighthawk would it be doable by a person who has done rear brake pads and then serviced them as well, plus changed spark plugs and fuel filter?

Ichiban and Old Cruiser like this.
  10. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

chaps, are they talking about the similar thing to change in suspension arms?

11. Nighthawk Guest

Suspension is pretty much the same on all cars, certainly principle wise, so yes, if you can safely tackle the "complexities" of brake overhauling, then changing a rear suspension arm is nothing really. Will be held on by a few bolts, as said though, never done it on my gen 7 so not sure exactly what it will entail, but I really can't imagine it will be complicated at all. They are normally easy-ish to remove but the bolts can obviously be on tight/siezed potentially etc depending on the condition of the undercarriage. I would definetely take a look and see, but it shouldn't pose any problems to you. Just make sure you raise the rear of the car completely off the ground to remove pressure from the suspension before you start undoing suspension arms.

12. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

does anyone know how much is front suspension upper arm at HH after discount?

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Give them a call. You're not under any obligation to buy.

14. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

In fact i was just wondering, if its just the bush thats on its way out, can i just buy the bush and replace it?
    is it doable, easily?

15. Nighthawk Guest

Bush? Are you still talking about the upper control arm? The ball joint could in theory be pushed out but Honda don't sell that ball joint seperately. I just bought new upper control arms, but be warned, they are expensive. Over 100 quid a pop.

16. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yes the same thing, not an expert so was trying to get out of it with as little damage to my pocket as possible
    :shock:

17. Nighthawk Guest

Give me 30 mins, Il grab my receipt out from Honda and give you the exact figure quoted to me

18. Nighthawk Guest

@hsyasin

Rather than tell you, thought I would show you. Circled within the red box at the bottom.

Sitting down??

IMAG1031.

19. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

20. Nighthawk Guest

The thing is - when you look at what they actually do - its not expensive in the long run. Suspension parts - OEM for me all the way unless you are seriously modifying your car and OEM stuff won't surfice. That entire order, as I got other bushes with it, cost me a bit under 500 quid when VAT was slapped onto the end of it. Are my kids worth more than £500 - that question doesnt even need answering in my eyes.