Electrical & Lights Damp starting..

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by StuH, Saturday 29th Jun, 2013.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Still having issues with starting when it's been wet. Two options seems to be WD40 in the coil pack or lithium grease on the rubber boot of the coil pack. I would like to try the latter but not sure where exactly it needs to go?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Stu can you expand on your starting issue..the entire ignition system is so robust I would be very surprised water has got in anywhere.

Unless there is some sort of damage somewhere are you aware of such damage?

3. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

When it's been wet it takes a few goes to get it to start. It doesn't even try to crank much, just goes dead after the initial crank, three or four goes and it will crack. Might not be the coil packs still might be positive connection on the battery though I did get a good tight clamp.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When you mean wet , I take it you mean its raining and not a wet engine after a wash? Would it be possible to attach a youtube clip to see what it does.

If you positive clamp is still lose then potentially the poor connection will hamper the starter motor getting the juice it need to draw to start the car.

5. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Yes raining not wet engine. I'll take a vid when I next expect it to do it.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can assure you dampness won't cause this even If you drown your engine in water washing it.I would say it battery or terminal issue you are experiencing.

lets see the clip.

7. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

It's not damp starting, it's when the fuel level is at the bottom :Blushing:..

I park down hill and when it's orange light time that's when the car take a few turns to start. Obviously the fuel pump (which I think is in the tank) is not pressurised when the fuel gets really low. I'll make sure I fill up at quarter tank and see if that solves it.

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    poor car you been throttling her with low fuel! :Rolf:

9. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

:Blushing: erm yeah would appear that way

10. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Poor starting

Thought I'd start a new thread as my starting issue is getting worse - looks like the infallible Honda is complaining.

First I thought it was damp, then when low on fuel but now it's doing it all the time. It takes a good few turns of the key to start. From what it's doing you would say it's a flat battery - turn the key a very poor effort to start and the lights go out on the dash but then on the fourth or fifth try it'd start no problem.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Re: Poor starting

Sluggish starting effort if not t battery is either poor earthing or duff starter.

Not sure I follow your logic on starting a new thread as we lose the history of what we have already discussed/tried.

12. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Re: Poor starting

Happy to merge just thought a new post with a better heading might be better for future reference.

Anyway, I don't think it is the starter motor, it doesn't crank just goes dead just like it's a flat battery. I have had ongoing issues with the positive terminal clamp being too big and have tried various things to tighten it up. Yesterday I made a lead sleeve that I slipped over the terminal then tightened the clamp over that. Too early to say but the four times I've started this morning its fired first time without hesitation.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Poor starting

Mods can we merge this thread with an existing thread of stu ? Far too many topics skirting around the same issue albeit asked differently .

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Was on my todo list.

Done now .. hopefuly merged with the correct thread :Ermm: