Off-Topic Danny MacAskill

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nighthawk, Monday 6th Oct, 2014.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    As an ex-mountain biker who used to compete, I really admire his bike control. Some amazingly beautiful areas of Scotland too. Makes me miss cycling.

Wish I had his level of skill.

2. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Was late taking the kids to school because I couldn't stop watching! :Laughing:

Sprockutt and Nighthawk like this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is some skill wow indeed.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Well I've just watched that. I feel like my eyes are playing tricks on me.
    Most people couldn't get up there, so with a bike, amazing. Real mountain biking!
    Thanks for posting @Nighthawk. :Niceone:

5. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Are you a keen biker @Nighthawk ? I am currently building myself a new ride ready for next year. Been out of it for a good few years now, but need to get fit!

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I used to be when I was 10 years younger. Used to compete in triatholons when I lived in South Africa, as well as local races. My longest race was 70km's over mixed terrain, through mountain passes, forests, road sections etc. Did a number of road races too and just used to spend entire weekends with friends from uni just riding the mountain passes and camping.

I just now cycle to work and back, take cuts through some woods during daylight hours, but its not challenging as its all flat. I am teaching my eldest to ride a bike properly (not just point A to B) and he is picking up the concepts of lowering centre of gravity for drops etc really quite well. Pity is, where I am, and most of the UK, they don't have proper mountains for him to get the real taste of. Would love to take him down some fire breaks.... they were great fun. Got him to ride no handed and turn gentle bends the other week whilst doing so - not bad for a 9 year old. He has a good sense of balance and as all kids his age, he has no concept of fear so he just gives it a go....

Got Woburn Trails near me, but.... well its ok I guess. Racing down fire breaks and through complicated twist backs on a real mountain just takes it for me. You get the clean air due to the altitude, the sea breeze, half clay and half gravel foundations - just amazing and so incredibly theraputic.

Last edited: Monday 20th Oct, 2014
    Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You got to have the weather to ride is SA you have ideal climate.I admit I will only ride in good weather Its not that I can't ride in the cold and wet but why should I feel cold and dress like a canary to be seen on the road.

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Sprockutt Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David East Kilbride
    I enjoy a bit of trail/ cross country riding but don't posess the skill or bravery required for the technical stuff. Danny MacAskill's videos are truly mind boggling. I would struggle to walk along the Cuillin ridge let alone ride it.

Although my favourite bit was his novel way of getting over a fence near the end of the video :Smile:

Ichiban and Nighthawk like this.