Standalone Projects Dash Cam Install

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by Eltax91, Monday 9th Jun, 2014.

1. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all

After a near miss with a sprinter van last year that saw me put the car in a motorway barrier, I decided now is the time to sort a dash cam.

Firstly, after reading up on PistonHeads' massive Dash Camera's thread, I chose the Mini 0801 and a 32gb (class 6) micros SD card
    IMG_3324.JPG

Fitted the camera first (charging from the car cig socket to test)

IMG_3326.JPG

Nicely tucked out of the way

IMG_3327.JPG

The additonal cig lighter kit

IMG_3328.JPG

And a neat little add-a-circuit

IMG_3329.JPG

Trial fitted the A-A-C. This is fitted into the existing cig socket fuse, with the two fuses then placed into the A-A-C.

IMG_3330.JPG

Removed the trim panels on both the driver and pax side to get behind the console

IMG_3331.JPG
    IMG_3332.JPG

I'm REALLY crap at soldering!
    IMG_3333.JPG

Wires tie-wrapped up and fitted to the extra cig socket

IMG_3334.JPG
    IMG_3335.JPG
    IMG_3336.JPG

Trim panels back in
    IMG_3337.JPG
    IMG_3338.JPG

Now, finding an earth point is fun. The A-A-C has a ring connector, which attached to an earth up above this throttle bracket (not as illustrated below).
    IMG_3339.JPG

PAX trim refitted and the wiring tucked behind the carpet
    IMG_3340.JPG

Wiring disappearing up inside the air vent
    IMG_3341.JPG
    IMG_3342.JPG

I'm not massively happy with this, so will have a re-think
    IMG_3343.JPG

And wiring up the A-pillar. Following the airbag, ensuring it was tucked out of the way should it ever need to fire!
    IMG_3344%20(1).JPG

Then remove the sun visor so the roof lining will drop a touch
    IMG_3346.JPG

Tuck the cable up inside the roof lining and refit the A-pillar and visor and you are left with this
    IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_3349.JPG

Only the wire is visible from the drivers seat. I don't think this will put me off whilst driving, It seemed difficult to remove the headlining around the map lights to try and tuck it behind the tinted mirror wiring.
    IMG_3350.JPG

The only issue I now have is that somehow, I'm not quite sure how, but my car cig lighter is still switched live as you'd expect, but for some reason the dash cam is permanent live! As soon as I connect a fuse it switches on and starts charging, regardless of whether the key is in the ignition or the car is locked etc. The car's cig socket remains functioning perfectly normally.

No matter, the car is off to SpeedyGee for some other work this afternoon (whilst I'm away working) so he is going to try to figure out where I went wrong!

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A neat job you've done there @Eltax91. :Thumbup:
    I'm sure Speedy will know what to do.
    This is one of those jobs many of us need to do, including me !
    Thank you for sharing. :Grin:

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You've gone and put me under pressure now Eltax91! :Blushing::Smile:

4. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well. It appears SpeedyGee strikes again! Not wishing to work out why the add a circuit was playing silly buggers, he did what didn't enter my brain for a second, he placed it in a different switched live, and no it's all working fine!

I will be collecting the car from him on Friday evening when I return from a work trip away, so I will put some test footage up here thereafter.

5. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh and if anyone wants to know where I got the dash cam from, it's a big chinese seller on eBay called e-PRANCE. The camera with GPS was 66 quid, a CLASS 6 (very important to use class 6, not 10 with this cam) 32GB Micro SD card was 10 quid and the add a circuit and cigarette socket was under 20 quid.

So all in it was 96 quid fitted.

MickyB likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I need this in my two car ASAP , but as ever finding time is the next thing.

MickyB likes this.
  7. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just order it. It took me 45 mins to install. And I'm a novice

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why does it have to be a class 6 SD card?

9. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There are some issues with the relatively low-powered chip in this camera not being able to keep up with the class 10 cards. This led to lots of negative reviews on early ones as they ran hot and stored very jerky footage. Once people started using class 6 cards, results were much improved.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Interesting - I actually have a spare class 10 card for use with whatever dash cam I purchase in the future but I guess I'll have to sell it then.

11. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Only if you go with this camera. Check out the dash cameras thread on PistonHeads, there's lots of other options, including a newer version of the 0801 that might well be fine on class 10. I stopped researching when i pulled the trigger on mine

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was considering the model you are currently using. I don't think I'll be able to safely fit a permanent supply cig lighter though. How long would the battery on the unit last with motion detection on?

13. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The battery on the unit is tiny. I think you would be looking at minutes worth of recording. Again, check out the thread on PistonHeads, there are 89 pages of reviews!! I went for a switched live cigarette socket as discussed, then the camera has a setting to switch off after x minutes of losing power source. I'm not going to bother with motion detect

14. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll probably go for one of the cheaper Mini 0801s then. I've had too many close calls in London, usually with motorists in the wrong lane or those bloody Boris bikes.

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Eltax91 One more question before I pull the trigger and get one. Should I get it with the GPS tracker or without? I do have a tendency to speed which is why I think GPS is a bad idea but on the other hand it could be a vital tool if I wrongly get a speeding ticket?

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks bud, I reckon rather than dilly dally in just got to do it. Thanks for the shove,:Niceone:

17. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My thought process went as follows:

Pro's
    There a cool bit of software that can overlay Google Maps with your video and show your location
    You can switch the speed display off on any video you put online
    Knowing it's watching my speed as well as my standard of driving might make me think twice next time i feel like putting my toe down

Con's
    In theory IF I got involved in a bad accident and the police confiscated the camera it could land me in trouble. This is true of the whole camera thing, not just speeding/ GPS

On balance I went for GPS, I decided the slim chance of me being unable to remove the SD card by being in an accident that incapacitated me was too slim to consider. If stopped by the police for bad driving/ speeding they are highly unlikely to even notice the dash cam, you could always say its broken to another motorist, and if I ended up in a big crash and I wasn't convinced I was without blame then I could probably whip the SD card out and hide it/ eat it or something!

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What right do the police have to confiscating your camera or sd card off you ?

I would think you would have to caused a rather horrendous accident for them to see this as evidence and take steps to confiscate it.

What's the consensus on this ?

19. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A copper friend of mine said to me that they are permitted to remove anything from you if they think it may help in their enquiries. For example, they could take your mobile phone to check the records of it to see if you were on a call or sending a text or something.

Also, have you seen the furore surrounding this idiot kid who decided to drive his girlfriends car onto the brands hatch circuit during a live race at the weekend? They then put a video on facetard and twitfook. The latest was this dudes mate, who filmed it on his mobile comments on facebook "don't call my mobile, da fuz got it bro"

So, i'd say if they want it, they get it

20. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆