dr400.jpg
      File size:
      85.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 8th Mar, 2014
  2. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Dash cam installation DR400G-HD & Power Magic Pro in 7th Generation

Hey great write up :Smile: and damn good idea going to look into these gadgets

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

re: Dash cam installation DR400G-HD & Power Magic Pro in 7th Generation

Superb Doc
    With all kind of scams around these days this might prove very useful.

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough

Cheers.

TBH having it there does make me drive more carefully as my actions are recorded and could potentially be used against me if the police were to find it after a major accident. But, I do also feel safer having it there. It gives me a extra level of protection against other drivers stupid actions in the event of an accident and someone trying to claim against me.

Now I've got used to it being there I prefer to drive with it on than risk driving with it off.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

I've been meaning to do this for a while so thanks for the write up. My only concern is how visible the camera unit is. I've been toying with the notion of making a small clearing in the black dots on the front windscreen for the camera to peek through just above the rear view mirror? I park on the street and I'm always seeing scum peering into the cars for an opportunist grab.

I'm been on the lookout for a large plastic unit of some sort which I can fashion around the rear view mirror bracket so it just looks like a large mirror and install the camera inside this so it's hidden with just enough gap at the front for the lens to see out.

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough

The camera is removable from it's mounting. It's just a case of press a little clip and it slides out the holder. That way you could store it in your clove box when you don't need it. My camera's silver but the newer models are black so they blend in even more.

It's recommended the camera lens of the device is located in the middle of the car windscreen It's recommended the camera lens of the device is located in the middle of the car windscreen. You may struggle to mount it higher due to space behind the rear view mirror. So to mount it higher might mean mounting the camera to one side.

Most thieves tend to look lower down for sat nav mounts etc attached to the inside of windscreens not right below the rear view mirror. Even with mine being silver I've had to point it out to people even after telling them it's there.

I'll see if I can get a photo of the camera looking in through the front windscreen. I tried before but there was too much reflection on the windscreen to see it. That way you can judge for yourself.

7. ann_kelvin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Doc,

This is a very good write up. Good job.

I got one question and I don't think the piggyback fuse on fuse 9 will give you the ACC+. I think if I remember correctly that will also give you constant 12V.

8. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough

Fuse 9 is the cigarette lighter lighter and accessory power supply (located in the arm rest). This isn't a permanent power feed, the keys have to be in the ignition and turned to position 1 to provide a power feed. If it was a permanent power feed the power module would think the keys were always in the ignition (and the engine was running), it wouldn't then monitor the battery voltage and cut the power when the voltage dropped. This would result in continued flat batteries.

Fuse 6 is for the interior lights which is a permanent power feed and doesn't require the keys to be in the ignition.

The power module needs both power supplies to operate it. It draws the power to operate the camera through fuse 6, and uses fuse 9 to determine if the keys are in the ignition (engine running) to determine if it needs to monitor the voltage and cut it off if drops below the set threshold.

Last edited: Wednesday 18th Sep, 2013
  9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Re: Dash cam installation DR400G-HD & Power Magic Pro in 7th Generation

It's more the inserting and removing the power cable from the unit that worries me. I contacted Blackvue a few weeks ago just before the 550 came out asking whether they could do a cradle type thing (like a cordless telephone charging base) so you can literally just pull the unit out of a cradle with is also the power connector without having to disconnect the cable. They said it wasn't a viable option, although I don't see not, makes perfect sense to me! lol

I found these guys Exeros Technologies - Car Camera, Mobile DVR, Reverse Camera, Action Camera Systems all available! who seem to have some good quality cameras and also DVR boxes designed for vehicles. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with their response to my enquiries, I was asking for additional information but they wouldn't answer any of my questions properly and just sent me a pdf which is basically what the website shows. They need more media on there to demonstrate their cameras at night etc. Also, I couldn't find any info on their hardwiring kit. I'm a little surprised at their lack of response as I also need about 9 unit for commercial reasons but their poor customer service has put me right off so I'm back to looking at MI-Witness, Blackvue and Road Hawk.

I do have an idea about how to hide the camera better but I need to investigate a little further into the legalities and effectiveness of it. :Smile:

Found this:

And it seems like it has a docking station which looks perfect. No parking mode though.

- - - Updated - - -

Ordered one, coming on Friday. Will let you know how I get on. Would be good to see some of your DR400 footage and how it looks from the outside?

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough

Arcticfire why does the inserting and removing the power cable from the camera worry you? It's a standard power cable connection. The same sort of connection you would find on any portable device which is charged from a mains power supply. I connect and disconnect my camera on a daily basic when it is parked in a secure location. This hasn't caused me any problems and I see no reason why it would.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

I've just found that constant connecting/disconnecting eventually knackerd the port with a previous dash cam, a Samsung S1 and also things like our baby video monitor etc and also I hate having to fiddle about making sure the connector is the correct way round etc. Docking station seems like a much easier solution to me although I'm sure the Blackvue will be fine though. Been out and about this evening looking for things I could fashion into some form disguise but I'm at a loss so it looks like it will be a case of removing it each time but I guess it's no more hassle than removing your car keys! lol

12. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough

My blackvue uses what could easiest be described as a smaller version of the standard type of plug which you would use on a laptop. So there is no issue with getting it the right way round as it's cylindrical shaped. I understand your concerns if you have had previous experience with issues though. Tbh I have been considering fitting an additional switch to save me having to disconnect the device. Not because of the concerns which you have but more for ease of use, even though it is easy to connect and disconnect the plug. And also because that way even when I choose to have the camera turned off the cable will still be attached to the camera instead of hanging down in case anyone sees it. I was thinking of getting a spare VSA switch from a breakers, wiring it in, and placing it in the blank space next to the actual VSA switch. That way it will look factory fit and be easy to use.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

Ah, I thought the connection was like the Samsung phones type - that micro USB type thing which can be tricky in the dark! lol Good idea about the second VSA switch, I wasn't going to hardwire mine because there's no parking mode but I'm thinking it would be tidier so could hardwire to the cigarette lighter fuse. I shouldn't need a battery protect so I'm guessing I can just strip the wires from the ciggy attachment, ground the earth and attached the live to an add-a circuit to the ciggy lighter fuse?

14. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough

If you don't have a parking mode then there's no need for the power module. It's only there to stop the camera draining the battery when it's in this mode.

No need to strip any wires bud, the add-a-fuse creates a separate circuit with a second fuse off the fuse boxes original pins.

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

You sure I won't have to strip the wires? There's only a cigarette lighter attachment with the camera and not the stuff you get with the Hard Wiring kit. The add-in circuit doesn't have a cigarette lighter attachment.

I'm thinking more for aesthetics, hardwiring would be a cleaner install :Smile:

The camera arrived today, it's tiny! Comes with a small screen which will be handy for positioning. I paid £110 to use a UK Business rather than £80 and deal through a Chinese business on Amazon (delivery was going to take a long time). Once installed I'll get some photos/videos done.

- - - Updated - - -

Been looking into this a bit more and I don't think stripping the wires is the way to go as there could be fancy circuitry inside the cigarette connector, plus I don't know what fuse is being used in there (it's sealed etc) although it does have a label saying 2A out.

I reckon something like this could be the solution: Halfords | Halfords 12v Hard-Wire Cigarette Lighter Unit and hard wire it into the existing cigarette lighter fuse and hide it all in there. Although I may look at a better quality part, the Honda one is £26 but could be worth going genuine - I would want something to melt in there! lol

Last edited: Friday 20th Sep, 2013
  16. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury

I bought one of these and hard wired it with an in-line fuse rated the same as in the plug that I removed from the unit, I have a cubby hole under the steering wheel in my car which hides the block nicely.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

I've got the Type-S version of that from halfords but I worry about the load using multiple sockets on a single line? I think I may just use the socket in the arm rest bit. I hardly use anything that needs power.

18. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury

I only did that way to keep my main cigarette lighter free for sat nav etc, I've not used any of the other free sockets yet and probably never will.

19. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough

I forgot about the fact you'll need to use the cigarette lighter connection on the power cable. Mine has a fuse in the power cable connection, I think generally all devices with this fitting do so removing the socket (and the fuse) may not be a good idea.

How about something like this 12v Female Car Cigar Cigarette Lighter Socket Plug Connector High Quality 2M 5A | eBay. You could solder this direct into the circuit or piggy back it into the fuse box.

The socket in the arm rest uses the same fuse as the cigarette lighter, it's just a further extension to the wiring circuit. So it doesn't matter which socket you use the load on the circuit will be exactly the same. I use an electric tyre inflater on my accessory socket without any problems, and the cigarette lighter will draw a far higher current than this. What the dash cam draws out the circuit is small fry in comparison to both these. Plus with piggy-backing direct at the fuse box the wires in the fuse box, which connect directly to the fuse pins, are thicker than those wires which come out the fuse box via the block connections.

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

Cool, thanks for type info good to know. Will get stuck in today.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it's all in and thanks again for the tutorial. When it comes to taking out interior items that are clipped in I'm always nervous about breaking things so your guide made it a far more relaxing experience (and quicker!).

I ended up just using an external extension which has an additional power slot in it where you plug it in to the car so I've not lost any power sockets. The only exposed wire is trailing out of the arm rest and down to the floor (about 4-5 inches) and it's hidden by the seat. The rest goes behind the trim under the handbrake and under the drivers dash. The connectors are all underneath and tied up all tidy so it's almost as if it was hardwired. Fed the cables through the roof etc just like you. End result is I'm happy and I'm uploading some video footage just now. Vimeo takes a while!

I do find it nice knowing I have a 100% reliable witness in the car now! lol