General DASH CAM Installation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grahame_E, Monday 28th Sep, 2015.

1. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice, I've been looking at a couple of DASH CAMS for my 8th Generation Accord.

Both require a permanent live feed to work correctly, this means ideally that I run the power lead up from the rear view mirror (where I'll mount the camera) as I don't want trailing leads dangling in front of the windscreen.

I'd like to know if anyone could advise how easy (or tricky) it is to prize the roof lining off at the front to tuck the cable into and then run down the pillar on the passenger side, under the dash and down the side to the central glove box where I can plug it into the power source.

I'd appreciate it if anyone else has done something similar who can tell me the pros/cons of removing the trim.

I like it all to be neat and tidy really.

I have also been advised to hard wire it into the fuse box, not sure I want to do this, firstly because it's not something I have any idea about doing and secondly I'd like to be able to unplug the power cord when I leave the car unattended.

Thanks

2. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Hi Graham - there are quite a number of pages on the ste under Dashcam Insrall. Check them out and you should find all there is to know re installation. I installed one in my CR-V in a similar manner to that you are looking to do and I found that in the CR-V you only need to push the wire into the headlining with your fingers, it goes in so easily. Also running the cable down the pillar was very easy by just prising the pillar cover very slightly away at the top then running it down the side at the door check under the rubber seal.

The only thing different from what you are wanting is I have mine powered by the ciggy lighter socket.

Hop this helps. (I did load some photos of the finished thing on the dashcam pages)

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Tucking a cable under the roof lining is very easy.

You don't need pull anything off, just as @Zoot has advised above, push the cable into the headlining with you finger tips. Running the wire down the pillar again is easy, just do as @Zoot said above.

I've been meaning to do a guide detailing how to run the cables for dashcams. Hopefully I'll get round to doing it soon.

4. simples Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom keith essington
    I wired one into my previous car (2010) CR-V. Like it's been said, - it's quite easy to tuck the wiring into the headlining and down the door pillar trim. If you need a bit more 'push', a credit card will do the job. I don't think you can just cut off the plug and hard wire it, as the plug is usually a voltage regulator and 'drops' the voltage to about 5 volts. Applying 12 volts will probably fry your camera.
    Before I bought my Dashcam, I got some twin cable and did a dummy run, just to make sure it could be done neatly.

5. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Everyone, appreciate your responses thank you. I plan to use the cigarette lighter to power mine I'm not going to take any risks hard wiring and frying the camera or torching my car.

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I am in the same boat as you Graham_E. I want to put in a dashcam in my Jazz but being a new driver I am always using a Sat Nav which means my cigarette lighter port is busy all the time. I am planning to hard wire the camera off the lighter or maybe, depending on reviews, look to get the kit which plugs into the fuse box.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You could make your own hard wire kit/conversion.

Use something like this
    $_12.JPG

Cut the connector off the red wire and solder to one of these
    $_12 (1).JPG
    Find a fuse that is ignition switched and install the piggy back fuse.
    Find a ground point for the black wire.

Push the cigarette plug into the socket and tightly wrap some insulation taped around it to stop from pulling loose.
    Secure the whole thing somewhere safe under the dash.

Hey presto job done.

legend-ary likes this.
  8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I see.. so this is essentially a second lighter port!
    You have made it sound a bit too easy.. im sure us novices will find many hiccups (not). :Wink: but yeah might actually take the leap soon..

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If you can wait I intend to install a cam in my wife's car soon. I'll do a full guide when I do that.

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

:jumpup:

11. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks SpeedyGee, I'm in no rush, I did have 2 cameras in mind when I started this thread the Transcend Drivepro 200 which came top in an Autocar survey and a lower end product (Novatek NT 96650) both have good reviews on Amazon but having looked at replies here I now wonder if the Mini 0801 may be better for me as it's so much smaller. So at the moment I'm undecided on what camera to buy so installation will be a way off for me yet.

Also for anyone in a similar dilemma I have found on Amazon that the EPrance brand (mini 0801 etc.) are also branded as Novatek and are significantly cheaper, the various models I've looked at are identical bar the actual product name. i.e The Mini 0801 is also listed as a Novatek Monkon MT201 and half the price.

Having looked at the threads under Dashcam install I think I could happily manage a hardwire install now I can see there are kits available, I originally had visions of having to splice into existing cables under the fuse board, there was no way I'd do anything like that.

12. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    if this doesn't go according to plan I would be willing to donate my car as the test vehicle for you to do an install on :Whistle:

:Grin:

13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

or maybe we can organize a HK dashcam install weekend and everyone gathers up and install their respective cameras :Grin:
    ofcourse I live in fantasyland!

SpeedyGee likes this.
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

LOL

I've ordered a 12v socket, think I should have a piggy back fuse holder in the garage somewhere.

legend-ary likes this.