Aftermarket Kit Dash Cam Project

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Thursday 22nd Aug, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Been toying with the idea of a permanent dash cam for a while but the biggest worry is it being seen from outside and my window smashed for it. The shaded band at the top of the front windscreen does do an excellent job of concealing anything attached so I'm thinking I could have it quietly poking down just in front of the mirror next to the rain sensor.

Anyway, here's the shortlist of cameras I'm looking at. Has anyone got one of those and can give their thoughts on it?

1. MI Witness HD @ £249.95 which is 720p and 120° viewing angle + Hard Wiring Kit with battery drain protect @ £29.99 = Total Cost: £279.94
    There doesn't seem to be many reported problems with this and looks like good image quality but the price is quite high.

2. Roadhawk 720 @ £139.96 which is 720p and 135° viewing angle + Hard Wiring Kit @ £14.95 = Total Cost: £154.91

Good price but I'm not very impressed with the image quality of Roadhawk cameras and I believe their software is very buggy. I don't think there's a parking function on this camera.

3. Roadhawk Ride @ £142.77 which is 720p and waterproof to 10m. Comes with Hard Wiring Kit = Total Cost: £142.77
    Good price but I'm not very impressed with the image quality of Roadhawk cameras, although this could be ideal for front grill mounting reducing the risk of having my windows smashed. No parking facility though so it will shutdown when the car is turned off. Their software is meant to be very buggy.

4. Blackvue DR380 HD @ £154.99 (Amazon) which is 720p and 120° viewing angle + Hard Wiring Kit with battery drain protect @ £34.99 = Total Cost £189.98
    Good image quality but there's been reported problems with the exposure changing a lot whilst driving. The later models are in silver so harder to hide.

I'm leaning towards the Roadhawk ride purely on the basis of not wanting my windows smashed. Although, I'll have to figure a way of getting the wiring through from the engine bay to the cabin fuse box unless I can use the box in the engine bay, but this may not allow me to close it tight, which I won't be happy with.

There's a Blackvue Baros A3 which comes with a hardwiring kit but I've heard these are just cheap Chinese copies that have been rebranded by Blackvue and a 100% markup slapped on.

With any hardwiring installation I'll be using an add-a-circuit to protect the car element that I tap into should the camera short etc.

What with the number of crazy drivers, the fact that I'm usually alone when driving so no witness and now the new police powers to instant fine for crap driving which is subjective I want to have a witness in my car!

Any thoughts guys?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    IIRC Doc was also implementing a dash camera ..I think with crash for cash scams becoming more frequent these cameras may be required by law soon.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think I'll just go for the Blackvue as I'm not keen on having to worry about getting wires through the bulkhead. A great idea would be if they could come out with a dash cash that has a cradle which also supplies the power rather than a power cable going into the camera. This way you could just slide the camera out if parking in a dodgy area and take it with you without connecting a cable in and out which would eventually wreck the connector.

There's a great camera called the DOD LS300W which has a wide dynamic range making night viewing awesome. Wouldn't be too hard to adapt a hard wiring kit to it, but the mount is awful - a great big suction mount. Too obvious and they usually fall off at some point lol. Shame, as it's such a good quality camera.

4. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I don't know what phone you have, but there is decent app for iphone which was quite cheap, you can add voice note or send the image straight to your email address, there is no need of wires just need to get some phone holder.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I used to use my Samsung Galaxy S1 and it worked ok but leaving the suction holder on isn't a good idea and taking it on and off etc was just a hassle. I'm looking for something I can just forget about! Also, I believe it's illegal to have a camera running where you can see the screen at the same time.

6. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I fitted the Blackvue DR380 a few weeks ago, it is a good bit of kit with very good image quality. I did try it with my HTC phone for a while but didn't think much of the footage.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Where did you fit it, just in front of the mirror? I've been having a closer look and I feel it would still be too obvious.

8. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Yes, mine is just in front of the mirror, I don't own a Honda yet and my current car has a tinted strip along the top of the screen that hides the camera nicely, I'll be interested to see where you decide to put it for when I change cars.

9. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Got the road hawk 720 in my truck, picture seems ok but sometimes it doesn't have any lights on so you don't know if its working or not also records continuous loop some save automatically of you break hard etc and some have GPS too. Mine seems to corrupt whatever it is filming when you turn the ignition off but I'm not sure if my boss wired it up right or not!

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    There's a tinted strip on the Accord also. I was test running a cheap one I have and it is pretty much impossible to see if behind the strip, which is fine for daytime but at night it may not see much! lol I'm wondering if I could just have the lens peeking through the wee gap in the tint in the rear view mirror area.

My wife came up with a good idea of putting up a fluffy toy or something around the back of the mirror which would hide it nicely. Would have to watch out for overheating though!

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Thanks for the product descriptions, I've been planning to do this for a while. Only accident I've been involved in (woman straight reversed into me as I was driving out of a car park) she claimed she wasn't at fault until I claimed (cough) I was able to obtain the car park CCTV footage. I like the look of the BlackVue personally.

12. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Here is an example of the Roadhawk 720 in case anyone is interested, taken straight from the camera and put on youtube.

[video=youtube_share;cem5f6iosf0]http://youtu.be/cem5f6iosf0[/video]

13. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    That's pretty similar in quality to the blackvue.

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm still trying to figure out the best place to put a camera. My car was facing the sun this morning and as I approached it any camera on the windscreen would be easily visible, even in the shaded boarder section. The amount of people I see walking past peering into cars (either checking out their reflecting or looking for an opportunist moment) is crazy.

Having another look at the front grill but I fear it's not going to provide a very good field of view. One thought is to mount it at the rear of the car facing forwards, tucked in under the centre headrest. I never ever have anyone sitting in the middle of the back seats and the field of view may also give me some side impact coverage. Could be too far away to pickup registration plates.

Perhaps a bigger project would be to build a housing for the central part of the console. It's damaged anyway from that air freshener incident (which their insurers now deny also so I'm now going legal with it). If I could make it look like part of the dash and have the camera far enough back it could be completely unnoticeable. Will have to think about the wires though, could involve making a hole in the dash!

15. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    As CJ said, I've installed a blackvue in mine. I'll put together a write up of the installation this weekend, after a lot of head scratching I think I've found the easiest and best way to wire it in which others should find useful and straight forward. I'll see if I can upload a video for you as well. More to the point I'll see if I can find a clip where you can't hear me giving a choice opinion of someone else's driving. :Smile:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Where did you put the actual camera, up at the rear view mirror? The wiring isn't an issue for me just the camera placement - driving me bonkers.

Also looking at perhaps getting a tiny HD camera and a separate DVR but there seems to be a lack of decent HD capable DVRs that will run off 12V. I did find one but they never replied to my enquiry and were quite pricey also to be honest.

Here's a shot using my phone's camera from the central rear headrest, it's an 8MP camera so I'm not convinced this angle will work, although the FOV will be crap on the phone camera and if I went with the DR400 at 1080p it may be ok and give me some side view also. I may not see registration plates but then if it's for accident purposes that's not massively important as I can just get out and take a photo lol

Come to think of it, probably worth spending an extra £20 and get the DR500! lol

If the angle doesn't work out I can look at alternative positions but I think a bullet cam in the front grill is out - the FOV will be too restrictive.

17. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just buy an inverter to run a 240v dvr there not that expensive.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've got one at home, previous one went pop! I'm wondering if I could hook a DVR up to the underside of the boot roof - perhaps with some vibration suppression. But then it's even more cost especially for HD ones.

There's a fairly compact one at Maplin although add in the cost of a hard drive and the price does go up a little. (Compact 4-Channel CCTV Digital Video Recorder DVR : 4 Channel DVR (Digital Video Recorders) : Maplin Electronics). It's not great resolution, although I could hook up a number of SD pinhole cameras around the car :Smile:

Here's the photo I forgot to post:

Rear View for Camera.

PS. Should have said when mentioning 12V I meant with a cigarette lighter adapter although come to think of it they are all usually 12V so hard wiring should be straightforward.

19. tals Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Miles Romsey
    Resurrecting an old thread :Smile:

I recently put a dash cam in my accord. I went for the EPrance 805 - mini 805 (
    ), put a 32 Gb card in it but in hind sight I wish I had gone for 64gb or 128gb just for being able to go back further in time 32gb holds about 6 hours at the definition you see below

Installation I put on the passenger side of the Rear view so I can't see it when driving and it tucks away quite nicely. Then had the power cable in under the roof lining (tucks in quite nicely) round to passenger side and behind the rubber door seal. It then goes behind the glove box and comes out at the bottom just below the cigarette lighter which I use. If I could handle the electrics i'd have probably gone for installing it to be always on via the fuses. Not to difficult but too difficult for me :Wink:

Biggest issue is IMHO the Accord suffers quite badly from internal reflection so I got a CPL filter from ebay for a tenner (designed for the 806) and used black masking tape to keep it in place.

Some videos from it

Testing the CPL Filter

Footage with CPL Filter in Place - turn HD up fully

DeviateDefiant and legend-ary like this.
  20. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Wow that CPL does really make a difference. Thanks for the info.. I am looking to get a basic dashcam for myself just to see how it goes..
    Since Jazz suffers from dash reflection aswell, I will keep your solution in mind when if I go for 80x series. :Niceone: