Aftermarket Kit Dash Cam wire routing

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Aspman, Wednesday 29th Apr, 2015.

1. Aspman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paul
    Had a Dash Cam previously which I had to return and I'm thinking about getting another after yet more near misses.

Any advice on routing the cable in the Accord? Not necessarily thinking about permanent wiring just getting the wire to the ciggie lighter plug.

When I had an octavia it was pretty trivial to tuck the wires into the interior trim, but when I tried the same with the Accord the fit was much tighter and there was no obvious way to tuck the wires out of sight.

How have you done it if you've got a cam?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It is actually quite straight forward, run the wire along the top of the windscreen, you should just be able to push into the headliner.

When you get to the A piller, you can slip the wire into the A piller trim by sliding it in. A little tricky to explain but get the wire into the corner of the trim, pull into the trim, the trim will come forward and the wire will slip in behind it.

You now need to pull the door rubber off, slip the wire behind this.

By now the wire is now router up to the side of the dashboard, there should big enough gap to push the wire through into the dashboard area and into the under the dash by the drivers feet.
    Run the wire across towards the centre console and secure it using insulation tap or cable ties.

In your case as you are using the cig lighter socket to power the camera, find a appropriate route towards from this point.

If you wait a few days I'll be adding a camera to my wifes FR-V and can do a guide for you.

Otherwise just ask away if any of the above needs further clarification.

Bones126 and Aspman like this.
  3. Aspman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paul
    Cheers :Niceone:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. Aspman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paul
    Cheers for asking.

Events dear boy events.

Cat took ill and died then our childminder decided she was stopping work at short notice. So between vet bills and new nursery fees the cam is on hold until the credit card is cleared again.

I've had a cheap one before and they're not worth the bother.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That's awful mate hope situation gets sorted soon.

7. Aspman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paul
    Got another cat already. SWMBO didn't want a gap. Kid is sorted now but it was a worry for a little while.

I'll probably get one of the Trancend cameras. They're mid priced but hopefully more reliable than the cheap Chinese models.

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    @Aspman , search the site for 'Mini 0801' or 'Mini 0803' and you should find a few articles on dashcams and routing / hard wiring them.

If you're ok using a Civic as an example, I have a Mini 0803 in my front and rear windows, both of them running through to a cigarette lighter splitter in my glove box, which is hard wired into the back of my cigarette lighter. Some pictures of what I did are here and here

Ichiban and Aspman like this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    It depends on how padentic you are with making sure everything is as hidden as possible - all you can see of my dash cam is a very small amount of wire and the camera itself if you are looking for it. The rest of the wiring is completely hidden and its connections are soldiered into place.

E-France Mini 0803 install

The Civic install will be even better if things work out and will be completely hidden.

10. Aspman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paul
    Cheers.

As said all on hold for now. But likely I'd just look to hide the worst of the cable. Not sure I'd bother with hard wiring but I see the appeal.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  12. Aspman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paul
    Unfortunately it'll be a few months before I've caught up again. I'm definitely going to get a camera.
    I commute on a single carriageway road and see some pretty awful driving most days.

13. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyone near Southport or Manchester that can help with this install of he cable? Ideally hard wired.

Would really appreciate the help as diy and I don't get along!

14. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cache issues. Double post!