Electrical & Lights Dash lights

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by FR-V, Friday 5th Feb, 2016.

1. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I have been trying to increase the brightness of my CR-V dash lights during the day, as they do not appear to illuminate it. I have followed the book and originally saw the bar graph on the info screen. I set it to full but it made no difference so tried again today. The button now does nothing when you turn it, just alters the trip milometer when pressed. Have I accidentally turned this function off? The dash lights are dimly lit and do not increase when the vehicle lights are switched off.
    Confused!

2. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Right, in answer to my own question, the problem lie with the nut on the end of the switch :Whistle:
    I had already rung the suppling garage but the salesman was tied up and as it was really getting to me I went down to my local dealer (Westgate) for some soothing words of wisdom.
    What a total waste of time! The guy in the salesroom I had previously been dealing with didn't want to know cos I had bought it elsewhere, told me the button shouldn't affect the trips so it had been fiddled with and would not be covered by the Honda warrantee, then turned his back on me!
    Went home fuming :Rant:
    Then Paul at Hepworth Honda, Huddersfield rang back, he had taken the time to go outside and find another car identical to mine, found that YES it did zero the trips if you push it (THAT'S not in the book!) and if you then pull it out, turn the ignition and lights on and twiddle it the dashlights dim. Just like it says in the book, apart from the pulling out bit. Thanked him profusely before going out to try it............YES! :Thumbup:
    What a star, and what a difference in attitude! :Hooray:
    Guess where I WON'T be going for my next Honda!

Pete C. :wheelchair:

Last edited: Friday 5th Feb, 2016
    Ichiban and legend-ary like this.
  3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Im glad you figured it out. If you have a look in my garage under project logs i think, you'll see a guide on making your footwell lights brighter. They're basically have a cover over them that can be drilled out
    Its really easy and quick to do.

4. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Racy Jay Hi, I read your thread on footwell lights but lost it. Can you send a link please. I have some working but others I'm not sure.

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Click on my avatar and I think you then click the tab that says project log.

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine only work up front by my feet. In the door where the cups can go and one led at the bottom of the door when it's opened.

I've spent £10 on some LEDs for the rear that plug into the arm rest. Hopefully the LEDs will hide under the seats them selves. I just need some time to try fitting them. Potentially I can't see why they couldn't be wired to the foot well lights.

7. kipster Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Seamus Leeds
    I've got the opposite problem. The dash is really bright with the headlights off.
    With the headlights on I can change the brightness using the twisty stick thing but it makes no difference to the dash lights when the lights are off.

I don't have auto lights and I have found myself driving around with no lights on a couple of times now (due to the DRLs and the bright dash).
    Is there any way to turn the dash brightness down when the lights are off as I can't find it in the manual.

8. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm sure if I set my lights to off they behave the same as you. I'll look tomorrow for you.

Can't you just put your sidelights on? Volvo has its lights come as standard as they proved it reduced accidents .

9. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Racy Jace, I thought that was the purpose of DRL's to reduce accidents. I suppose the thinking behind brighter dash lights is if it's bright outside your retinal reaction is slow so you need a brighter dash. Also if lights in 'AUTO' and ambient light is sufficient to not actually require headlights you need brighter dash. You could use tinted specs if it's a major problem. :sage:

Racy Jace likes this.
  10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can confirm that the dash brightess adjustment only works with your head lights on.

11. kipster Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Seamus Leeds
    Thanks for confirming about the dashlight brightness only wokring when lights are on.

Racy Jace likes this.