Electrical & Lights Dashboard Bulb LEDs

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by jostree, Thursday 30th Jul, 2015.

1. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    Did any one change the dashboard lights for LEDs? The lamps that the car has are very weak.

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good idea, I know of people who have simply swapped out blown bulbs like for like but never LED's. I assume you'll need to use resistors etc. Personally I wouldn't want the dashboard that bright anyway but I'm sure we'll be able to advise you if you progress with this project :Smile:

3. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    I will change the bulbs with new ones lamps and clean the dashboard and see if it stay more bright.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good idea, use lings if you want the exact part numbers.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've seen a few Accord Type-R owners do it in the past, most are soldered in so it's not a straight forward job. I do intend to do it to mine, dependant on its destiny :Laughing:

6. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I've done it before and it works fine, only issue is the stock ones will have different intensity for specific areas and the led can be too bright or dim and can make the dash look uneven. Other issue I found is that most led are much more directional than the incandescent in terms of light output which doesn't always help with the overall effect. Changed over a car and had to revert to some standard bulbs especially in switch illumination. With a bit of playing you can come up with a really nice look.

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I didn't know you had to do extra work to get LEDs to work. Will be interesting to see how you get on. Personally I like these regular bulbs and bulbs that are too bright would be distracting at night.

8. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    The led's will light up fine with 12v (assuming they are 12v led's) you can get a whole host of varieties on the likes of ebay which will fit pretty much any fitting the automotive industry has come up with. The only time I've had to use resistors is in indicators or in a vehicle that will warn you if a bulb is out such as brake or reverse lights. I've seen a lot sold that are CAN bus friendly lately so no need for resistors at all if you plan and purchase accordingly.

I find them a bit distracting at night as well if not done well. Usually some switch or panel is glowing like mad and not in tune with the rest. Honda does a good job with the dash, unless your really into some other color to match a custom interior I'm not really sure its worth the effort.

My only complaint with the stock bulbs are the cost they really seem over priced for what they are.

exec likes this.
  9. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    Finally I changed all the light bulbs...
    Before

IMG_20150731_150706.

After

IMG_20150731_194946.
    The condition of the lamps

IMG_20150731_211928.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I really want to get around to replacing mine with white LEDs.

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I imagine that would be similar to the 7th Generation colour scheme which looks more modern. Looking forward to it :Smile:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Even on my 7th Generation most of the console buttons have a slight green/orange tint to them which annoys me :Laughing:

14. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    I think the problem neer the 100 is dirt inside.
    I cleaned surface but the interior is very difficult to access.
    - - - Updated - - -
    The problem with LEDs is that the light does not spread, it focuses.
    I did the experience of putting LEDs in the Climatronic and i had to remove it.
    Now I have a mix of lamps with rubber cover, without cover and the temperature button has a led.

IMG_20150731_195005.

IMG_20150731_195024.

exec likes this.
  15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    That was quick! IMO it looks broken with LEDs and doesn't seem to improve lighting much.

16. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    There is always something to improve tomorrow I will fix the seats that do not heat up, and the driver seat one of the functions do not work.

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That all depends on what type of LED you use, the light can be diffused for a wider spread. It definitely needs research and trial and error to get it looking right.

18. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    Has anyone put LEDs on the dashboard?
    If so can you put some photos?

19. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    The lamps that are on the speedometer (low fuel, right speedometer, RPM, left speedometer and temperature) are T10 or T5?

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Cluster bulbs are T5 I believe but I'll let others that know for sure, confirm that !