Electrical & Lights Dashboard bulbs

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Old Cruiser, Tuesday 13th Jan, 2015.

1. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    does anyone know how easy it is to change any of the dashboard bulbs, think I might have one that might end giving up at some point, as I notice that where the actual odometer readout is the fist two digits seem to be a bit dimmer than the other three , strange thing is it's more noticeable when the headlights are on (where it dims the bulbs) but even if you adjust the intensity it's still noticeable (with the headlights on) , however, oddly enough if you turn the lights off it's not so noticeable even if I reduce the intensity down to where it would be when the lights are on, hope that all makes sense!!lol maybe this is typical on most facelift 7th Gens?
    Cheers Pete

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Shouldnt be that hard, you normally have to remove the cluster, remove a plastic cover on that back of that cluster and then just unscrew the bulb holder. I havent done it before on my 7th Generation, but I can't imagine it would be much diffferent from that. Clusters are not normally hard to remove.

3. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Thanks mate, I might brave it at some point, particularly if it gets any worse.
    Cheers Pete

4. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Further to my posts above here are couple of photos showing more of what I'm seeing with mine and the slight dimming with the odometer and if any of you guys think it is a bulb issue or something else!!
    Cheers Pete
    100_0363_zpst6dweopn.
    100_0362_zpsoxt47u9k.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Whatever brightness you set them at, when the headlight turned on it tones the display done at tad,you can however whack it up to max even with headlights on,

6. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    did that mate and whatever setting it's at there is still this slight dimming going on in that part of the display compared to the rest of it, the more I look at it I can't imagine it's an iffy bulb as surely the outside temp' reading would be dim as well, maybe just something odd with the LCD itself, strange one!
    Cheers Pete

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is not right turn the reset button clockwise to full with the headlight running is display still not full whack?

8. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Just popped out and tried it with headlight on and fully clockwise and it does go full whack with only a very very slight dimming with it like that you really have to look closely though, also noticed that with it fully anti-clockwise all digits are still quite readable again with only very very slight difference in that part of the display, expected that iffy part to be almost non-readable! so would appear with the setting I originally had it set to seems to be the more noticeable as said , strange!!
    Cheers Pete

Ichiban likes this.
  9. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    BTW Thanks Ichiban for your help on the above, by me adjusting the intensity knob , think I've found where I get a slight rattle / vibration from the dashboard and I think it's that knob as they are quite loose/ wobbley in there aren't they?
    Cheers Pete

10. Skipperjohn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a similar issue but both my odometer bulbs have now blown - first one went so readout just dim one side - then the other went.
    Can still see the mileage (faintly) if I shine a torch at the display so I know the actual odometer is still functioning - just not illuminated
    Found this on how to remove the instrument cluster

Now just need to find the right Part Number for the odometer bulbs and where to get them from...

11. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Thanks for that mate, did you find that the outside temp' reading was still bright though as mine does seem to be , would have expected that to be dim as well unless that is in a closed of section so to speak behind the dash, got to say don't like the idea of ripping it all apart, just weary that either i'll end up damaged the surround etc. trying to get it out or won't work once back together!! been down this road before!! just had a look on lings Honda parts website and bulbs aren't listed, so hopefully there will be some markings on them when you remove them.
    Cheers Pete