Facelift Model Dashboard Cup Holder - removal

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Princepugh, Tuesday 25th Aug, 2015.

1. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    On our recent holiday in Ayrshire, our little lad managed to break one of the flaps on the front centre dash cup-holder. I've effected a fix now but thought I’d share how the lower part of the cup holder, i.e. the bit with the holder mechanism, comes away from the arm which is attached to the dashboard (underneath the various panels) as it’s much easier to do this than to take the whole arm away from the dash; and I don't think it's been mentioned on the forum before.

Basically the lower section slides into the mounting arm from below:-
    20150824_172416.
    It is secured by a couple of lugs/turrets on either side, which can be pressed in to release the assembly, allowing you to inspect/fix or replace.
    20150825_182115.

I removed the two retaining screws either side too but I'm not convinced now, having put the unit back in, that this is necessary.

Hope this is of use to anyone who is unfortunate enough to damage their cup holder in the future.

PP

ocie and kes like this.
  2. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you, my kids have just done the exact same!

3. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It was one of the pivot hinges that had broken on mine, luckily I found the piece of broken plastic and was able to superglue it back in to place, then reinforce with some other material secured with araldite, probably stronger than the original part now! Bit of a faff getting the spring back into place but all is well now.
    Good luck with it.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  5. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is only the second cup holder I’ve fixed in my cars but I’m surprised by the delicacy of some of the pieces involved in the mechanism.

The last one I fixed (on a Volvo) had a ratchet arm which operated on a spring clip which clicked along a tiny (about 3*6mm) serrated piece of plastic. This gave a very pleasing feel to the cup arms but surprisingly enough, it snapped clean off and was tricky to repair or costly to replace.

The Honda unit is generally very sturdy but the travel of the cup arms is controlled by a thin flat section of the body plastic on the actual hinge, which is doomed to fail as soon as excess pressure is exerted. I understand that something has to be engineered to fail first but for my money, it would be better for the drinks flaps to fail safe (i.e. open) when excess pressure is applied (breach), rather than just falling to pieces..

OK, I’ll get my coat…. :Bye: