General Dashcam = Halfords?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pastore, Monday 24th Aug, 2015.

1. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    After seeing some youtube videos of people literally throwing themselves on car bonnets and people reversing into cars to say its your fault and take your money, I've decided to get a dashcam. A normal noob like me would just see how much money we have and walk into argos or halfords but thought to ask in here first, i have no idea how much a decent one cost.

please bear in mind im not related to Bill Gates so will probably end up spending £130 max

i was looking at this one, its on sale appratnly

Halfords | Nextbase InCarCam 101

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    @RogerH69 is the person to ask, he has fitted dashcam front and rear.

3. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

thanks, i will ask him,

do u have one in yours?

4. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I have this one - works really well and the video quality is excellent.
    There are other options -i.e if you did not want the GPS version etc (will be cheaper) or if you wanted different memory options or no memory as you may already have memory.
    Great seller and excellent customer support.

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I tried one of the NextBase ones, and though they do the job (once again, performance and quality and features are dictated by the price you pay), I wasn't that happy with them. My first foray into dashcams was a Nextbase 402G Pro, which I think was near the top of their range at the time. If memory serves, it worked well enough, but I found it very bulky, which is why I sold it and went for the my first of the 'Mini' series, the Mini 0801.

Since then I have had 2 x Mini 0803, and am now on a Mini 0805 and a Mini 0806 (both Mini 0803's were replaced due to me being an idiot and blowing them with bad wiring when using hard wire kits :Smile: )

@AccordCU2 what did you pay for the mini 0801 on eBay? You can get the Mini 0806 (better build and internals) on Amazon for less than £80 with the GPS mount included. Hardwire kit is £15. I didn't know you could still get the 0801 to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -
    @pastore - from what I can see, if you want a basic dashcam, and don't need HD video, or GPS logging, then the NextBase InCarCam 101 is Ok at that price point. I like reading reviews on items I am considering buying, and a good site I use is ExpertReviews.co.uk. Their reviewer gave this camera 3/5 with the following quick summary - "A no-frills budget camera that won’t block your field of view, but the Nextbase 101 Go doesn't produce the clearest video we've seen".

You can get cheaper entry level cameras, but they will be really bad. As a first dashcam for someone, I think the NextBase InCarCam 101 is a good enough place to start.

- - - Updated - - -
    Sorry @pastore , I only just saw your budget limit of £130. You can get a very capable dashcam for less that that. I personally would recommend a Mini 0806 with GPS (only get one data card, as they have issues using the second data card that it supports). If you look at my latest dashcam videos, they are done on a Mini 0806. If you look at the one I show of someone going through a red light, the rear view was recorded on a Mini 0805 (so you can compare quality (which is hard once uploading to Youtube). This should cost you about £80, and it has a power cable long enough to be tucked away in the door pillar trim and fed behind the dash to come out the glove box and plug into the cigarette lighter - this way it looks tidier.

Last edited: Monday 24th Aug, 2015
  6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

One more thing - there are guides on here showing how to hard wire the dash cams, and I also wrote one up somewhere on using the hard wire kits you can get for these dashcams. If you decide to hardwire withotu the hardwire kit, then do NOT just cut off the part that plugs into the cigarette lighter and hardwire the cables to (for example) the feed for the cigarette lighter, as this WILL blow the dashcam, as the bit that plugs into the lighter drops voltage from 12v to 5v, so leaving that bit out means you are putting 12v into something that is expecting 5v.

If you use the hardwire kit, then you don't have to worry about this, as it has a little black box in the middle that ensures only 5v is passed to the camera. It apparently also stops drawing power if it detects the incoming battery voltage is too low (below 11.6v I think) to ensure the camera does not drain your battery if you connect it to something that bypasses the ignition (i.e. directly to battery +ve )

exec likes this.
  7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Is the mini 0806 permanently fixed? as in no suction cups etc?

Also that hardwire kit you linked, can it be used for any dashcam?

I bought a cheapish one off Amazon few months ago, but its a bit too big, and I think its dead too.

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

The mini 080x series slide into a small mount, which also contains the GPS antenna (if you purchased the mount with the antenna). This mount is stuck to the screen directly. This means you don't have the bulk of a suction cup type mount. Also, the power cable plus into the mount, and into the camera, so it just makes for a tidier install. There's a relatively newcomer (design wise) to the dashcam market, which is a bit bulkier, but also tried to disguise the dashcam - example here. This however has an external GPS antenna which you need to mount and connect separately.
    - - - Updated - - -
    If you look here you can see the mount for the Mini 080x series stuck to my rear window. Here is a good review on the A118 B40 model of dashcams

Last edited: Monday 24th Aug, 2015
    exec likes this.
  9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Check out my DIY on the Mini 0801, I have since replaced the 0801 with the 0806 which is identical when it comes to fitting. No suction cups etc and its very easy to hide in our cars. I also wrote up a hardwire DIY which was very useful when I parked on the street (and recommended for yourself after your window got smashed).

@pastore - I highly recommend the Mini 0806 which costs around £80 + £15 for a 64gb Micro SD so you should be set at under £100

exec and RogerH69 like this.
  10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@Chunkylover53 - The only issues I have with using a dashcam as a 'security cam' are -
    1 - I park on a very busy street, so the camera will be going on and off a lot
    2 - Setting it to motion detect means it turns off when I am stopped at traffic lights / stop streets / whatever, and I don't like that.

However, I suppose there's nothing stopping me from having a second, small camera which I can hardwire to the battery with a hardwire kit and set this to motion detect....

11. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I don't wanna get one with GPS cuz i don't want the videos to show my own speed, lol.

where are your videos so i can see them? i can't find it on your profile page

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Depending on the camera you get, you can set it so that it doesn't show your speed, and you then only see your speed when you playback the video with the supplied software. My videos are in the 'DashCam Thread'. Here and here (second one shows front footage from Mini 0806 and rear footage from Mini 0805)

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likewise, I turned off the speed recording on 0806
    - - - Updated - - -
    I agree that motion detect is rather useless but the firmware below allows the camera to record 70+ hrs on a 64gig card (140+ with 128gb) which is left on 24/7. I have done this for months on end with no issues with battery :Smile:

Link, makes for good reading as the bloke is very knowledgeable about these cameras

RogerH69 likes this.
  14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Ah ok, so you turn motion detect off, and just leave camera running 24/7 ?

Yeah I get most of my firmware (and advice) from dashcamtalk

15. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

just saw the video, quality looks good, and you can't see the speed your going which is good but why is it saying what the speed limit is? i don't want that so is there a way to switch it off?

16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

That is not the dashcam. That is my satmav telling me the speed

17. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

oh, fair enough, I've seen enough - im buying a Mini 0806

looking for cheapest wesbite i can find and ordering it lol

18. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Be very careful when ordering, there are a lot of fakes and returning items to China is almost impossible!

19. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Agreed. I have had no problems with E-Prance and Monkon versions of the Mini 080x range. The 0806 I have at the moment is the Monkon 0806, purchased on Amazon at the link I provided above. If you are paying anything under about £80 for a Mini 0806 (with GPS mount) then there are chances you are getting a fake. When I buy such things I usually avoid those that don;t have any reviews on Amazon, and I read through the reviews there are in depth to get an idea of what to expect.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Good info guys, whats the benefit of having GPS?