General Dated private registration plates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duc de Pommfrit, Wednesday 4th Jun, 2014.

1. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    As someone who has a private registration plate I am confused by the growing number of owners I see who have fitted dated plates to their new cars.

For example last night I followed brand new Infiniti but they had fitted an 02 plate on it? I often see an Audi Q7 which is new but has an 04 plate.

Why make your car look older?

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Some people are fickle ! :PullFaces:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It could be they wanted that initials and the only one available then at an affordable price was that lower reg plate or they just had that plate forever!!. I have a 12 plate car but my private plate is 08 , in my case I wanted that plate no matter what . The numeric thing does matter for me I know how old the car is.

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sentimental reasons perhaps?

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have JA58ON H I think that will look good even on a 2030 reg. That'll be the year I can afford to change mine:Sobbing:

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^That's why I have the plates I have on my cars. The fact that the plates are an "older" reg doesn't bother me at all.

Personal view - a better system all round would be to issue a number plate for each driver when they pass their driving test. That then stays with them for life.

Nels likes this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Personally, I don't mind what the registration is.
    I do like the idea of a plate for life though.

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

"A plate is for life, not just for Christmas" :lol::lol::lol:

Ichiban likes this.
  9. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Being a sort of boring old fart, I've never really got why people would want a private plate. I know of 1 or 2 people who have spent loads of money getting a personal plate but it means absolutely nothing to other road users (those who choose to look at other peoples plates that is).
    Plates will be a thing of the past soon anyway.
    Brussels will pass a law that all cars driven in the United States of Europe will have electronic chips fitted to the car that can be tracked by road sensors so that all movements are monitored. The owners will also have a chip inserted into their necks that corresponds to their automobile. :Photographer:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Brussels can take a flying jump , need to have a referendum and we want to get out.

AndyB1976 likes this.