General daytime running lights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Tuesday 2nd Jun, 2015.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just wondering but do all new cars need to have these?

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I thought they did, hate the Citroen ones that just about blind you when passing

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Yes mate, they are a legal requirement for all new cars from 11th Feb 2011 I think it was to have them fitted to all passenger vehicles
    - - - Updated - - -
    Oh dear, how sad am I? Got that date right ... :Laughing::blush:

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That's what I thought but the Jazz I've had for the last week and a bit didn't have them?

5. Nighthawk Guest

Strange, I thought they all needed it - I did just find this though, perhaps this explains it??

"Note: This does not mean that every new car first registered after February 2011 will have DRL fitted. The requirement only applies to models that go through the European whole vehicle type approval process after that date i.e. new or substantially facelifted models"

Daytime running lights | AA

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Could be. It only had about 18 miles on it when I got it. Is this Jazz made in Japan?

7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That explains why the facelift 8th Generation Accord doesn't have them then.

A minor omission that could've affected sales perhaps? You know how fickle the British public are

I hate DRLs myself. If you aren't capable of deciding when to use headlights then should you really be driving at all? Having said that it is possible to forget to put the lights on. I know if I'm driving a car without Auto headlights in a lit area at night I make a conscious effort to remember to switch the lights on otherwise I wonder why the first person coming the other way is flashing their lights and then I remember.... :lol: auto lights also let you down if it is very misty sometimes as there can still be enough ambient light around to turn the lights off even if you can't see 50 yards down the road.

It's yet another VAG/BMW pointless blight of an invention (like the variable service interval light) to screw even more money out of customers. Imagine the cost when the LEDs fail and the whole headlight unit has to be replaced?

I think they are a danger for three simple reasons.

Some are that bright they prevent indicators from being as visible.

Dazzle and glare especially in wet conditions. (That's why fog light use is strictly policed in some areas sometimes )

They also mean the same drivers who would have driven without a light on the car in poor visibility (the very people DRLs were introduced for) now drive round in the dark with only DRLs on and hence no tail lights or rear reg plate lights on. :Rant:
    - - - Updated - - -
    I know that article says the relevant DRL should switch off when the appropriate indicator is operated but I've seen this not to be the case (can't remember the make of vehicle) however it could've been a home bodge DRL fit I suppose.

Last edited: Tuesday 2nd Jun, 2015
    FirstHonda and exec like this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I also can't stand DRL's. some of them are ridiculously bright, also all these headlights on new cars are way too bright, i literally have to look away when one comes past or i can't see anything. Those new laser lights will be even worse.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I also dislike DRLs, especially the eBay reto-fits that look magnificently cheap and nasty.

Nighthawk, FirstHonda and exec like this.
  10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm not a fan, either.

Volvo and SAAB were sold with their sidelights always "on" back in the 70s and 80s. If there were really big safety reasons for DRLs, then surely illuminated sidelights would have been a simpler and cheaper option?

I also note that certain manufacturers (step forward BMW and MINI, but I'm sure there are others) now offer "special" DRLs when you upgrade to higher specs or options. Now, call me stupid :Laughing:, but if you are driving the car why would you be bothered about what the DRLs look like? Anyone?? Madness...

Having said all of that, my new CR-V has them and the (2014MY) Honda version is pretty understated TBF :gohonda:

11. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In some countries across Europe is mandatory to have lights on 24 hours.
    Poland,Serbia,Croatia in winter months just to name a few so they comes in handy over there.
    I hate them and seen way too many Ebay special ones on my travels every year that looks horrible.

12. Nighthawk Guest

I quite like how they look on the A5 and A4 Audi's, but overall, I don't like them either. OEM ones are meant to turn off when you turn your sidelights on as well as when you indicate. This little C1 Im driving has them, no idea what they are like in the dark, I think I will wait and find out later

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Oh my god, someone call a Doctor, @Nighthawk said "like" and "Audi" in the same sentence !!! :SOS::shock::Unknown:

Garrydhu, John Dickson and Nighthawk like this.
  14. Nighthawk Guest

I know, I need some serious phsycological help... please, someone help me

15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    :Baseballbat: :telloff:

Nighthawk likes this.