General De-misting the windscreen ?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by Moss, Thursday 14th Jan, 2016.

1. Moss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've always had a problem with the de-misting on my 2004 Honda Civic 1.6 exec, especially on damp wet days; put the blower on full and it still take an age to clear the windscreen. Anyone else have this problem?

P9190186.JPG

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I tend to have the climate control on all the time. As well as keeping the temperature how I like it, the unit also reduces the humidity in the car.
    You would get a similar effect using the A/C. This will reduce the amount of condensation and speed up windscreen de-misting.

It is also worth giving the inside of the screen a thorough clean. Most screens get a thin layer of mould growth on them. This will hold onto the moisture and also increase de-misting time.

Any one else got any good tips?

3. Moss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I use the Climate control; tried the Air Conditioning, but it's still very slow clearing.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have you tried opening the windows whilst the screen clears, yep it'll feel cold for a while but may help.

Garrydhu likes this.
  5. Moss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have, it works well when dry; but not when wet.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Are all the carpets dry i.e. are there any small water leaks? Any moisture in the car - even damp over mats if they are carpet rather than rubber - makes this sort of issue worse.

7. Moss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Totally Dry Vehicle. just the huge windscreen takes awhile to de-mist.

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Get rid of the carpet mats. Get rubber mats. Get a brand new pollen filter. Re-gas the A/C and use it regularly and clean the windows better on the inside than you would on the outside.

I had this issue on an older (Non Honda) car. As soon as I did the above, I never had a steam-related issue.

9. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    All the Hondas that I have owned have been absolutely superb in this (and most other!) respect(s),

A push of the screen fan button does the job in no time at all, unless you are talking about demisting from a cold start on a freezing or dank day. Even then it is pretty good though.

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke

RogerH69 likes this.
  11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just press the heated front screen button and that does the trick within seconds.

12. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Don't think this will really apply if you are using class mate control but I know that n some cases (not Honda) that if the recirculation is on, the the Windows will steam up in a lot of circumstances. As I said, this will probably not be your cause!

13. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    +1 on what @TheDarkKnight said make sure you keep up on pollen filter changes. Might not be the case in the UK but I have yet to buy a domestic used car that has had it done regularly. The amount of times that I've pulled bags of leaves, dirt and other assorted things out of the filter housing is shocking, with some people not even knowing that it needed looking after 15years after buying a car!!

Mine can fog up pretty bad when I have a full load of damp kids in it but the leaving the ac on clears it up quickly enough.

14. Moss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Air circulation open for outside air; not changed the pollen filter; but this car has always been slow to clear the windscreen.

15. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    The heating/cooling system will take in outside air pass it through the pollen filter and then the fan to the ac/heater core and out through the vents. If the filter is clogged it will slow down the flow. I've pulled leaves sweet wrappers and other assorted bits from them. It seems to be a neglected filter and makes a big difference to the quality and air flow in the cabin. One option is to remove it and see if it clears any better before replacing.

16. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Billy Dor Carrigaline
    Yes,I can definitely agree, change the pollen filter,instant difference in air quality, and the blower works easier

17. Moss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

How simple is it to change the pollen filter?

18. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Most Honda's are very simple , remove two clips on the side of the glove box which allows it to drop down then there is a removable panel to access the filters. Found this for a USDM Civic of the correct year but the method is much the same for most Hondas or cars in general.

19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

20. Moss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nels & JD1959, thanks for the link and video; both really helpful; appreciate your help.