ICE & HFT Dead Sat Nav Screen - Aftermarket?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Trixman, Saturday 5th Apr, 2014.

1. Trixman New Member Getting Started

Paul
    Hi!

New owner here, purchased today an 05 FR-V.

One of the main things is it does have the standard sat nav screen installed, but is completely dead. Dealer said no idea why, but looks like no power at all.

My question is, any thin I can check? can I replace with an aftermarket solution? And so, any recommendations?

Realised quickly that I can't control the sound of view any settings.

Thanks!

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Trixman, welcome to Honda Karma.

What has been checked so far in terms of diagnosis ? Fuses etc

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It could be that the previous owner had a third party bluetooth module or aux in module installed which they took out prior to selling it. In doing so, left something unplugged ??

4. Trixman New Member Getting Started

Paul
    Absolutely nothing so far! I simply wondered if there was a common issue.

I did think I would take the opportunity to install something new that has bluetooth, new sat nav, USB etc - but not sure what will fit, and I guess I'll lose all the buttons on the dash.

Hmm. Never know, would be nice if it was as simple as that! Getting to it looks like it will be a mission all on its own...

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    As mentioned, 1st thing I would do is check none of the fuses are blown. If that's not the case I'd look to make sure all the connections are installed in the back correctly. There is no common fault and units aren't known for completely dying, in fact they're generally very reliable, so it's odd yours has . I would rule out all other options first before condemning the unit as faulty.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I would agree with Speedy.
    Completely blank screen is almost certainly a 'no power issue'
    That said,
    fuse
    or the multi-plug in the back of the unit - the plugs need to be exactly aligned to the push in correctly.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Have a look at the Xcarlink install guide. It has instructions for getting the sat nav unit out. It's not as bad as it looks

8. Trixman New Member Getting Started

Paul
    Wow, thanks all, never been on such a helpful forum with such quick responses!

SpeedyGee likes this.
  9. Trixman New Member Getting Started

Paul
    OK well looks like it isn't the fuse - though I only tried the fuse related to the stereo (so not sure it also handles the sat nav screen).

Next, taking it apart! lol

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Tearing it down shouldn't be hard at all, though I would use some trim removal tools (a couple of quid online) so nothing gets scratched up :Smile:

11. Trixman New Member Getting Started

Paul
    Thanks - I actually bought a complete set of trim removal tools a while ago after destroying half the trim of an old 3 series :Smile:

DeviateDefiant and Nels like this.
  12. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Not sure about the similarities between the system in my Accord and your car but when I first bought my car the screen wouldn't work intermittently and a couple of months ago stopped working completely, I could see the screen itself was powered up but had no signal, after checking power to the DVD drive I came to the conclusion that the drive itself was faulty, luckily I found a second hand one, fitted it and it works perfectly ( for now )

13. Trixman New Member Getting Started

Paul
    Well I guess that is the worst case scenario - though I still would like to fit aftermarket if possible if that is the case, one with bluetooth phone, USB mp3 player, DAB etc.

I just don't know which ones fit. Whether it is a specific size (7" or the smaller 6. something) and what kind of wiring would need to take place.

So anyone that may have gone aftermarket - please let me know what your existing setup is?

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The problem here is that the Sat Nav screen and media functions are intertwined with the climate control. So you can't actually easily rip out the screen and replace with a double din unit. There is a kit available but you lose some of the climate control functions.

What you could do is install a stereo where the Sat Nat DVD drive is though.

Personally for now at least, I would persist with trying to get the Sat Nav system working again.

15. Trixman New Member Getting Started

Paul
    Ah bugger. That is a different thing then. I'll check that out instead! Thanks!

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Opps, the bit about placing a headunit in the sat nav dvd location won't apply to an FR-V, that's for an Accord, so scratch that.

An alternative maybe to swap out the Sat Nav unit with a non Sat Nav unit from another FR-V.