Dealers/Garages Dealer issue. Number of Previous Owners

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by patel_on_da_corner, Wednesday 20th Apr, 2016.

1. patel_on_da_corner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Patel London
    Hi,

A fortnight ago I bought a shiny 3 year old CR-V from an approved main dealer. (Its in the Garage)
    At the time of purchase I was shown a piece if paper indicating that the car was HPI clear, and had 1 previous owner.

Upon receiving my ownership documents in the post from the DVLA, I notice that the car has actually had 2 previous owners.
    I went back and checked the HPI paper, and it was dated 2014 not 2016.

The log book of the vehicle looks ok to me, with 2 services at the same Honda dealership.

My question is, what should I do.
    I feel as though I have been duped, even though I should have checked the date of the HPI doc. I simply trusted the dealer.
    I am within my 30 day exchange period.

What should I do?
    What would others on this forum do?

Thanks

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    To me sounds like the dealer took it in part exchanged and simply off loaded it without doing its checks. First of all I think rather than checking HPI you should have checked the V5C.

Anyways, have you raised your concerns with the dealer? If I were you and was happy with the car, I would go back to the dealer and raise the issue with the manager and ask them to rectify it buy re-reimbursing you the price difference between a one owner car and a two owner one but ofcourse you can choose to return the car as it has been mis-sold to you but then again people can make mistake and maybe it was an honest oversight. If they refuse to lower the value of the car than you can probably make a formal complaint and reject the car as it is not as described.

Ofcourse my view is a layman's view, some people here are more aware of laws and will be able to give you a more indepth reply so wait for those to come in. @jimjams eats rule books for breakfast so maybe he can help

FirstHonda and jimjams like this.
  3. patel_on_da_corner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Legend-ary.

Thanks for your reply.
    I should have checked the V5C and HPI doc thoroughly. Hindsite is such a wonderful thing.

I haven't raised concerns with the dealer yet. I am still still deciding on what action to take, and trying to understand what I want to do.
    I am happy with the car, but not sure of what the consequences of such an oversight.:
    - By how much have I over paid?
    - What could I be entitled to?

Thanks
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thinking about it,

I actually want a car that had 1 previous owner.
    I am assuming that a single owner over the 3 years or so prior to my ownership would have taken better care of it.
    I feel this is important due to the sensitivity of the DPF.

What would be the potential price difference between 1 previous owner and 2 (% wise)?
    How much have I over paid?

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I think what you want to do is to notify the dealer right away that you just received the V5C and it is showing it has 2 previous owners not 1 as they advertised. This way you have brought it to their attention as soon as you found out. If you don't do anything, well and good, if you do however decided to take matters further you have covered your bases.

have a look on Autotrader and Honda approved stock and see if you can see similar cars with different number of owners and how their prices differ.

patel_on_da_corner and jimjams like this.
  5. patel_on_da_corner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have notified the dealer.
    I will have to do some research around pricing tonight.

Thanks again Legend-ary

6. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I think the rule book on this one had Norovirus on it LOL

7. patel_on_da_corner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So the dealer has got back to me.

They claim that is was a simple admin oversight, where the OLD HPI doc was shown to me in error.
    They have assured me that number of previous owners will not have effected the value of the vehicle, and have offered me a £250 cash good will gesture.

I do actually believe it was an admin oversight, and not a deliberate con.
    But I thought I was buying a car that had 1 previous owner, and not 2.

I am really unsure of how to proceed.
    I really wanted a car with 1 previous owner.
    Does the extra owner make a difference?
    Am I worrying for no reason?

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Better check they didn't make any other mistakes! I consider all used car dealers to be lying, incompetent parasites, so it's always possible there's some other 'mistake' to be discovered.

Be honest with yourself, if the number of previous owners had been correctly shown then would you have still bought it? If not, then you'll never be happy with it and should demand a full refund.

Last edited: Wednesday 20th Apr, 2016
  9. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

a bit of "homework" as suggested by @legend-ary might give the answer

Used Cars Range | Honda UK

10. patel_on_da_corner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be much difference in pricing of cars where they have a different number of previous owners.
    All pricing seems related to age and mileage.

I think I will take up the Honda Dealers good will gesture.

Thanks
    jimjams and legend-ary

jimjams likes this.
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@patel_on_da_corner

Why Honda?

If it was sold as an 'Approved Used' Honda, then you have the right of exchange for 30 days if you want it. There is also an assurance about history:
    Assured vehicle history
    Your Approved used Honda is comprehensively checked to confirm; previous ownership, any outstanding finance has been settled, has incurred no major accident damage, and any registration number change are noted. You will be provided with certification on delivery of your vehicle.

Personally, if you are happy with the car, I'd push for a bigger good will gesture IF it was 'Approved Used.'

Something like "The £250 is fine, thank you - but I'd like my first service paid for / some free accessories / insert as appropriate as well just to put my mind at rest, and restore my confidence in you."

If you don't ask...:Wink:

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    And people pay premium prices to buy used cars from Honda dealers for 'peace of mind?!?!

FirstHonda, AccordCU2 and Nighthawk like this.
  13. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Personally, I have never trusted a dealer, whether franchise or otherwise, and even less recently. If you are buying a used car, do your own checks, your own research. I have never bought a car based purely on someone elses assessment of it. If you arent mechanically or bodywork minded or knowledgable, take someone with you who is and listen to them. These people can generally sense if a car is a good one or not if no physical concerns are present. I have advised many a friend (normally female) to just walk away from a car they have their hearts set on.

Dealers just want to make a sale - the totally honest ones are very rare and even then, they won't know every intimate detail about every car and most warranties arent worth the paper.

14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ ...and this is why I (usually) buy either new or pre-registered. More expensive I know, but I can so I do.

jimjams and Nighthawk like this.
  15. Nighthawk Guest

You are a lucky man to be in that position @FirstHonda. Fancy buying me my new Scooby? :Laughing:

The issue is that the majority of people only get rid of their cars when there is something wrong with them that they can't be either bothered to fix, or it will cost too much so they get rid before it goes wrong. Or its gone wrong, and they do a botch job to cover the issue until they can sell it. There are of course people who are the exception and just fancy an updated model, but generally, this is what I have found which is why dealers will do everything to not honour a warranty and why it is so important for a buyer to do their own checks and be completely happy before signing on the line. I've walked away from buying cars purely because they are pushy. Push me, and Il walk. At the end of the day, unless you are going for something exotic and/or rare, there are plenty of cars out there to choose from and buying a car based on emotion or due to it only being the one available, is very risky.

jimjams likes this.
  16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ :Laughing:

I prioritise new or nearly new cars because I want to and I'm lucky to be able to, but I consider holidays a waste of money. Before I get categorised as some sort of lunatic, I used to travel extensively for work (and for free :Smile:) so I'm pretty much travelled out already. One day I want to go to New Zealand, but apart from that I've been where I want to go, and I didn't have to pay. With first class air travel and only the best hotels too...:Whistle:

17. Nighthawk Guest

Would you like to convince my missus of that? I agree with you, but with her.... :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

jimjams likes this.
  18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

There's a good reason why I'm divorced...and why my relationships generally don't last very long! Cost effective though...:lol:

19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

last few posts right on the money

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Back to the original point of this thread...

@patel_on_da_corner please do let us know the final outcome.

:goodluck: