Dealers/Garages Dealers and 0w20

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by lefty, Thursday 6th Nov, 2014.

1. lefty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When I picked my wife's 2014 car up, I went to the service desk to ask about the oil they use - knowing about the 0w20 due to this forum!!!!! the girl on the counter said they use Castrol 0w30 and showed me the can sat on the desk advertising their oil. I thought I would try and order some oil from another dealer, so I went into their parts and asked for Honda 0w20, he brought out Shell 0w20, when I asked him for specific Honda oil he brought out another can. I was looking at it and noticed the date - 2009, he admitted he had it for a long time!!!!
    Why is it that forums know before dealers????

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good question its stems for the dealer management basically, if the dealership is not giving staff adequate time for training and self development then they are non the wiser.

Additionally all this information we have is at the disposable of dealer and even more, you can call it the high turn over of youngster in the parts department who quite frankly lack the get up and go.

I personally want all the dealership info on here so we have a better resource for owners and potential new owners so we and you are better informed. Honda UK quite frankly are not bothered in maintaining that standard, well that good for us then as we won't let that happen.

3. lefty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just imagine if somebody that did not understand - or check - or have this fantastic forum to check out, went and bought some oil that the dealer supplied, they would be using 5 year old oil that is the correct grade, just not the correct spec for their engine. I believe somebody on this forum has stated that oil should not be used after about 5 years - I assume the molecules or something could break down? Will need to order from HK, just find it difficult as they only deliver to home address and I am not always about!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You can get the oil from HH but you can get it delivered to your business address. I do that all the time.

5. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
    A lot of dealers sign up to oil contracts with outside suppliers, which probably means more margin for the Dealer, but I've never had an issue in getting the Honda stuff from my Dealer (Dublin).

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    As @Mr Honda says, it's very much whatever the particular franchise has chosen to use - many will own dealerships covering multiple manufacturers and use a particular oil supplier for all, they're not under obligation from Honda to use their oil. Some will literally only carry their own choice oils, but they can always get it in from Honda (and I can't see why they wouldn't).

Even Honda branded oil is sourced from various suppliers, though naturally making sure it meets their requirements and level of quality control. They've previously used "Co-Engineered with Honda" branded Castrol for the 0w-20, currently it's supplied by in the standard OEM packaging and manufactured by Total (but still supplied by Castrol).

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    But still a mess for the customer who just wants simple info not a minefield of information overload.

DeviateDefiant likes this.