Pre-Purchase Dealers

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by RobsyUK, Saturday 27th Feb, 2016.

1. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    had a look at an 08 today and although I liked it the dealer wouldn't budge.
    There's 3 dents on the car - they would only do one. Probably because they could do a polish that would look good for a week.
    Would only knock £200 off the price and I'd have to tax it.
    Nice car and an OK guy but I thought you could haggle?
    It was up for £7995 and I offered £7600.
    They assumed because I drove a long way it was a done deal. Sorry mate.
    It had a few other things needing doing which they said they would do but is the window price really what's expected to be paid?

FirstHonda likes this.
  2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    No... Make a reasonable offer, then walk away if they won't deal. Leave your details if you want, so they can contact you. There are plenty of other used cars and plenty of other dealers.

I hate car dealers and have never bought a car from a car dealer. Never will.

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    According to new law buyer is responsible for taxing the car before they drive it off . ..

4. Alexknight91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alex Norwich
    Buyer is responsible for making sure it's taxed, but I'm pretty sure that dealers can still tax the vehicle for you

Nels likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Correct.

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Ofcourse you can even ask your friend to tax the vehicle for you. Point was tax is non transferable so can't really expect it to be included in the deal anymore.

From Gov.uk

Buying a vehicle

From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You can get some really stubborn dealers that don't allow you to negotiate. I guess they do this as they know that some gullable customer WILL come along and purchase the car AT the asking price.

I hate dealers too and much prefer to buy privately.

Agree with @legend-ary on the tax points.

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've only ever once bought a car privately, the rest from franchised dealers.

Some dealers are horrid - but most are fine in my experience. However, if you aren't happy with the deal or the car (or both) then you did exactly the right thing by walking away. There will be other cars.

One thing that has always irritated me is the 'no tyre kickers' or 'no time wasters' line - the implication being that if you don't buy the car, then you weren't really serious. I'd always ignore any seller with either of those statements in a description.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I've bought from dealers, but only at the price I want to pay. My last three Accords were all from dealers, and were significantly discounted. If you local dealer won't play ball, go somewhere else.

11. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It was a Honda dealer..
    I'm happy to pay a little extra from a Honda dealer as they offer a lot with the deal.
    Taxing car etc - this isn't a problem as I know how the law works I just didn't realise Honda offer it as part of the price.

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Alas, there are good and bad, even with Honda dealers.
    (The three dealer I was referring to are all Honda)

13. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    I try to avoid traders also. If you want to buy cheap buy private. If you want reassurance buy from a franchised dealer.

14. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

If I buy from stealers it'll only be a Honda main dealer.
    I'd rather buy private but hate preparing cars for sale.. I hate cleaning now and then hanging around for them to show / not show

15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Buying privately is fine, but I prefer auctions. So far I've bought a Citroen BX, a Vauxhall Omega and my current Accord. All ex-leasehire, all great condition and (most importantly) all really cheap. If you're that way inclined, third-party warranties are available. I use BCA.

Auctions are also where the trade buy an awful lot of cars, presumably to re-sell at a massive profit.